|Date Posted||April 3, 2019|
The Florida State University Libraries invites applications for the position of Web Developer. Reporting to the Director of Software Development, this developer works in a team environment on a variety of library web applications under the guidance of a Senior Developer. This position will focus primarily on Drupal websites and Drupal-based digital repository applications hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The FSU Libraries are leading contributors to the Islandora community, as well as strong supporters of open source software and agile development practices. The ideal candidate enjoys working in a collaborative environment, is self-driven, and eager to learn new technologies. Highest priority will be given to the ongoing development of the FSU Digital Library built on the Islandora platform (http://fsu.digital.flvc.org/)
- Creates, maintains, and extends a variety of web applications and scripts to support the work of various departments within the library
- Installs, develops and/or maintains locally-written and open source web applications.
- Drafts specifications, codes, tests, debugs and documents new and existing applications (some are vendor provided)
- Works with users to develop requirements
- Participates in project teams across the library as technical member.
- Monitors traffic, analyzes usage, and contributes to performance tuning and capacity planning
- ALA-accredited master's degree, or advanced degree in a relevant discipline
- Minimum one (1) year experience programming in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) environment or equivalent
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in at least one web development language
- Ability to write documentation and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Highly developed problem solving skills
- Experience with, and enthusiasm for, open source software principles, development and tools
- Experience with Drupal or other open source Content Management System (CMS)
- Experience with PHP and Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Experience working with Cloud services (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Practice working with versioning systems (Git, SVN or equivalent)
- Familiarity with XML and XML-related tools (XPath, XQuery, XSL, etc.)
- General knowledge of Digital Asset Management systems and library metadata standards (MARC, MODS, METS)
The Florida State University Libraries provide collections and services to enhance the learning, teaching, research, and service activities of the University. The Libraries’ collections include over 4 million titles and offer access to more than 1,064 databases and 120,000 electronic journals, supplemented by a robust interlibrary loan program, including the statewide UBorrow system which includes over 15 million books from all 40 state university and college libraries. The Library Express Delivery Service delivers books and articles to faculty and graduate students on a daily basis. With almost 2 million visitors each year, Strozier Library, FSU’s largest library, is open 134 hours each week, providing around-the-clock research assistance and other services like free academic tutoring and a rich array of academic support throughout the day and late into the night.
As a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the FSU Libraries rank among the largest research libraries in North America. The Libraries also belong to the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Florida Virtual Campus/Florida Academic Library Service Cooperative, and are the designated Florida service hub for the Digital Public Library of America.
Florida State University is located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida's capital city, a growing, diverse community with a population of more than 357,000. The University’s location affords students and faculty opportunities for interaction with state and federal agencies for internships, research, and part-time employment, as well as a myriad of social, cultural, and recreational activities. The main campus is located on 476 acres in Tallahassee with other facilities throughout Florida as well as locations overseas.
Founded in 1851, FSU is a public, fully accredited, graduate-research university offering more than 300 academic and professional degrees in programs ranging from Business and Physics to Music and Creative Writing. Florida State University provides extraordinary opportunities for undergraduate students to build a strong foundation in their chosen fields; to study abroad; to engage in service activities; benefit from world class library and technical facilities; participate in extensive intramural and recreational events; and interact with some of the finest students and faculty in the nation in a distinctive, welcoming environment. The University instills the strength, skill, and character essential for lifelong learning, personal responsibility, and achievement.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and academic/professional qualifications. Excellent benefits. Professional development funding is provided, mentoring, and the opportunity to work on cross-functional teams and faculty committees.
This is a non-tenure track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Librarian.
Soft Money Funded Position
This position is time-limited based on partial soft money funding, with renewal contingent upon available funds and the needs of the University.
The Florida State University Libraries define diversity as the sum of the ways that people are both alike and different. We are committed to embracing the full spectrum of human and social identities. We strive to create and maintain an inclusive environment in which all individuals are treated fairly, respectfully, and valued for their distinctive skills, experiences, and perspectives to maximize the potential of all libraries employees and the communities with whom we interact.
To apply, submit an application to Job Opening ID: 45088 at hr.fsu.edu. Applications received by 5/3/2019 will be given first consideration. The letter of application should address the responsibilities, qualifications, and experiences listed for the position. Please submit application letter, resume, and the names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references.