|Date Posted||June 27, 2019|
User Experience and Web Services Librarian
Librarian I or II
UMass Amherst, the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts system, sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, 90 miles from Boston and 175 miles from New York City. The campus provides a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
As a gateway to knowledge, the UMass Amherst Libraries are key partners in teaching, learning, and research at UMass Amherst and in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Supporting freedom of inquiry, the Libraries foster a diverse and inclusive environment in which to engage with ideas and acquire the critical skills necessary for lifelong learning.
The UMass Amherst Libraries seek a dynamic and innovative User Experience and Web Services Librarian. Under the direction of the Associate Dean for Library Technology, this position is instrumental in developing, implementing and assessing user interfaces in support of all departments in the library. It functions as part of a collaborative, user oriented team that supports library information systems and infrastructure. It also contributes to the overall Library Technology Services support effort.
Example of Duties:
1. Take a lead role in collaborations with stakeholders in the iterative design and testing of the Library’s web presence and online services.
2. Collaborates with librarians, technology staff, and others to coordinate the information architecture of the Library’s web site, including development of a coherent user experience for web-based library resources and services.
3. Coordinates assessment of the libraries web sites and other digital systems, including testing interfaces for usability and effectiveness through a variety of mechanisms such as user testing, surveys, log analysis, and focus groups.
4. Provides technical support and is in charge of training the large body of staff users who have authorial roles in producing web content.
5. Collaborate with Library staff and other stakeholders to design and manage websites; work in cross-functional teams across Library units.
6. Participates in Library Technology Services support programs.
7. Oversee the accurate and timely availability of documentation for all procedures and processes.
8. Maintain current knowledge of trends and best practices as they impact academic libraries.
9. Develops and maintains appropriate reports, documentation and records.
10. Work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness within the UMass Amherst Libraries and the campus.
11. Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
12. May be asked to represent the Libraries at Five College Committees, Boston Library Consortium Committees, or other selected professional meetings and conferences.
13. Serve on internal library committees as needed.
14. Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the Library and the department.
15. Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosures to others.
1. Master’s degree in library sciences - or equivalent degree – from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or its appropriate equivalent in librarianship from another country.or Master’s degree in another area combined with minimum one (1) year experience administering library management systems.
2. Experience with common web development and/or usability testing techniques
4. Experience testing interfaces for usability and/or accessibility
5. Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities showing initiative and flexibility.
6. Strong service ethic and the ability to interact effectively and work productively and collaboratively with a variety of colleagues and levels of staff.
7. Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems and/or facilitate workflow.
8. Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities showing initiative and flexibility.
9. Strong diagnostic skills and considerable comfort with both the Windows and Linux environment.
10. Advanced computer skills, and familiarity with Microsoft Windows, macOS and/or Linux
11. Demonstrated ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively and to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the UMass Amherst Libraries and the campus.
12. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral skills, including presentation skills.
13. Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
14. Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity and collaboration.
15. Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
16. Understanding, appreciation and experience with the goals of higher education.
1. Coursework in user experience research methods
2. Experience working in a library or educational environment
3. Experience with web content management systems, APIs, and/or web analytics;
RANK AND SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Librarian I salary floor is $54,000
Librarian II salary floor is $60,500
Apply online at http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/500492/user-experience-and-web-services-librarian and submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information (phone and email) for three professional references by August 31, 2019, for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is strongly committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. As part of a commitment to its own multicultural community, the Libraries seek an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace University initiatives and aspirations. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.