|Location||Los Angeles, California|
|Date Posted||August 14, 2019|
At Getty Digital, we're re-imagining how we can use data, software, and systems to provide a deeply connected and consistent experience for staff, scholars, researchers, and enthusiasts as they explore the rich and complex information held across the organization. You will play a central role in maintaining robust systems, and identifying and implementing strategic solutions in an environment that is committed to collaboration and continuous improvement.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced, and user-centered professional to join the Collection & Content Management Systems team within Getty Digital. You will report to the Digital Preservation and Library Systems Manager and interact with librarians, archivists, curators, and subject matter experts from our cultural heritage programs, working primarily with colleagues from the Getty Research Institute. Additionally, you will engage with project managers, technologists, software developers, and infrastructure staff in Getty Digital.
You will be responsible for the administration of a suite of information systems that support core library and archival operations, including inventory and metadata management, enhanced collection discovery and fulfillment, and digital preservation. In addition to daily management activities, you will work directly with staff to keep abreast of current operations and needs, leverage system capabilities to increase departmental efficiencies, integrate applications, advance interoperability, and advocate for system improvements with our vendors. As a member of a future-oriented team, you will have a broad impact on operations locally and advance discovery of our collections globally.
The J. Paul Getty Trust, one of the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, is dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art, advancing conservation practice, and promoting public knowledge and appreciation of art. You will work on a dynamic and beautiful campus filled with art, archives and special collections, and a world-class research library. We offer an excellent benefits package and a strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Provides leadership for and management of a suite of information systems, namely Alma, Primo, Rosetta, and ArchivesSpace
- Collaborates with program and infrastructure staff to optimize systems
- Tests system upgrades and enhancements in sandbox environments, develops testing scripts, and coordinates testing with staff
- Actively monitors and troubleshoots bugs and performance issues with staff and vendors
- Establishes and maintains active communication with stakeholders, ensuring upgrades, new features, and changes are communicated effectively and in a timely manner
- Leads regular team meetings and working groups with stakeholders on system-related topics
- Directs system-related projects using project management best practices
- Utilizes APIs and web services for data retrieval and system integrations
- Prepares and maintains system logs, reports, and statistical data to assist in evidence-based decision making
- Assesses community contributed code for adoption based on sustainability
- Researches inquiries from staff about system capabilities and customizations
- Documents local system administration tasks and new functionality for staff
- Serves as primary technical liaison with vendors, open-source, and user communities, advocating for Getty interests in the development/enhancement process
- Monitors and tracks advancements in the field; researches, recommends, and establishes new technical strategies and standards
- Maintains a user-focused, helpful, and collaborative style of interaction in the performance of all job duties and in communication with all levels and types of staff and partners
- Participates in national and international user communities to learn about new approaches and share Getty experiences
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience; MLS/MLIS degree strongly preferred
- 5 years professional experience required. Minimum of 3 years of experience managing/supporting library services platforms and discovery services; direct experience with Alma and Primo strongly preferred
- 0-2 years IT project management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of current and emerging library and archival technologies, standards, workflows, and best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata formats and standards, including MARC, EAD, METS
- Experience with Python or Angular JS. Ruby is a plus.
- Familiar with Github and JIRA workflows
- Comfort working with the command line and creating bash scripts
- Strong project management skills, especially the ability to deliver projects on-time; to multitask and prioritize; and to identify, analyze, and solve problems
- Demonstrated ability to lead and build consensus within diverse teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical issues and processes to non-technical audiences
- Service-oriented attitude and curiosity a must