|Published||March 23, 2022|
|Education Requirements||Master's Degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||75,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||80,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines - and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
Reporting to the Director of Library Systems and Support, the Systems Librarian independently analyzes, identifies, develops, and communicates library-related technical solutions. Also performs project management oversight of projects or one or more large tasks within larger projects related to library technology.
Job Specific Duties:
- Work with stakeholders throughout the libraries, providing technical expertise and analysis for library technology enhancements and strategic projects.
- Help facilitate technical project management and oversight for library-related projects ranging from small enhancements to large scale projects that require input from staff across the libraries and implementation staff from multiple groups within LTS.
- Develop expertise and provide high-level support for library systems that support strategic functions, including resource acquisition, electronic resource management, discovery, and access.
- Ensure the preparation and delivery of required project documentation
- Facilitate project workflow and scheduling
- Prepare and provide project status updates
Typical Core Duties
- Work at a high level within a team on most phases of service analysis and consider the business implications of technology applications to the current and future business environment
- Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business needs into systems requirements and scoping
- Contribute to the definition of systems requirements, conduct gap analysis, and identify feasible alternative solutions that meet defined business objectives
- Perform user needs analysis, product evaluation, selection, customization, testing, implementation, and support
- Participate in the development of plans and policies for a unit/school
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard's leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT's core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT's IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Harvard's Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Paid Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks accrued vacation days, 12 accrued sick days, 12.5 paid holidays plus winter recess, and 3 personal days awarded each calendar year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard's commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department's current presence on campus.
This position will be based in Cambridge, MA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will begin your work remotely. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, and VT). The fully remote nature of this job is only temporary. Once the University and your supervisor determine that it is appropriate, in-person on-campus work will be required as a condition of continued employment. HUIT is currently developing hybrid workplace models which will actively support some remote work (within a state in which Harvard is registered to do business) where business and team needs allow. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard's Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard's Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
USA - MA - Cambridge
Library Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Master of Library and Information Science is required
- Minimum of two years demonstrated work experience in implementation and support of technologies to support library processing, electronic resources, discovery, and access systems for academic and research libraries including authentication and authorization systems and technologies
- Ability to manage competing priorities across simultaneous complex projects
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems or facilitate workflows
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor