Systems Administrator – Library
|Published||January 30, 2023|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Required|
|Education Requirements||Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||($60,000 - $65,000) DOE|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The Systems Administrator is responsible for the support, maintenance, and enhancement of Linux servers, their operating systems, and associated server-based applications and services in the University Libraries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specify, create, test, and decommission Linux servers.
- Perform routine Linux system administration, maintain system security, file system management, problem resolution, and address systems performance issues and crashes including the review of hardware and software error logs, system performance statistics, and other system status and activity reports.
- Install, configure, and maintain applications in client-server and Web-based environment.
- Assist application administrators in the administration of their products.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with servers and applications.
- Ensure the integrity of server-based applications through application of appropriate security measures, monitoring for security alerts, critical updates and patches, and creating and testing server and data backups.
- Conduct self-guided study of current and emerging technologies.
- Participate in Library Systems & Technology Department activities pertaining to organization, management, task assignment, and strategic planning.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study.
- Three years of experience in Linux systems administration.
- Ability to install and configure Linux operating systems and relevant applications.
- Knowledge of networking concepts including Routing, Firewalls and DNS.
- Knowledge of Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl/Python.
- In-depth knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu operating systems.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and Azure virtual environments.
- Knowledge of Drupal content management system.
- Knowledge of library applications such as DSpace, Vireo, Open Journal Systems, EZProxy.
- Knowledge of Shibboleth single sign-on implementation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to foster a positive working environment and model the Libraries’ Guiding Principles through daily actions and behaviors.
- Be an advocate and ally for equity, diversity, justice, and inclusion.
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of Linux operating systems, Apache web services, and MySQL database server.
- Demonstrate an advanced level skill at troubleshooting applications and server operating systems.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of system authentication protocols such as Shibboleth, SAML, and LDAP.
- Possess analytic and problem-solving skills and demonstrated aptitude for technical analysis.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to excel in a “perpetual beta” environment with frequent change and intelligent risk-taking.
Standard office environment. May work weeknight, holiday, or weekend hours.
In addition to the basic skills required as listed above, this position requires an understanding of library operations, procedures, and policies. Attends external technology seminars, training, and meetings to keep abreast of the latest development in software technologies. This may require overnight travel.
Our future colleague will also have an affinity for our Guiding Principles. These principles define HOW we do our work. These are our Guiding Principles exemplified through how we treat our colleagues:
We Care. We care about you, your success, your growth, your passions and all that you bring to the table.
We Empower. We empower our staff to be creative, think outside the box, work autonomously, and provide resources necessary for success.
We Take Ownership. We take ownership of our organizational culture and YOU take ownership of how our culture is shaped.
We Are Extraordinary. We are extraordinary because we attract and hire extraordinarily talented individuals like you!
APPLY NOW – We can’t wait to welcome you to our team.
Please submit applications at https://uta.peopleadmin.com/postings/19417
UTA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. A criminal background check will be conducted on finalists. The UTA is a tobacco free campus.