|Published||June 14, 2022|
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$88,000.00|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$105,000.00|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
HathiTrust is looking for an experienced front-end developer to help create user interfaces for large-scale digital library systems. This includes interfaces for library catalog search, full-text search, online book-reading, personalized collection management, and more. You will help establish best practices and work with developers, designers, and team members to create and modernize interfaces that help improve HathiTrust's websites and applications. You will report to the HathiTrust Enterprise Technology Team Lead.
HathiTrust is a global partnership of 190+ academic and research libraries based at the University of Michigan working to ensure that the cultural record is preserved and accessible long into the future. Nearly fifteen years after its founding, HathiTrust holds one of the largest sets of digitized books managed by a non-profit organization, offering an unprecedented opportunity to steward the cultural record through connected work that develops capacity and sparks innovation.
What You'll Do
- Implement accessible user interfaces for web applications for the HathiTrust Digital Library to equitably meet the needs of diverse users from around the world.
- Collaborate in designing and assessing user interfaces with HathiTrust staff, student interns, and other team members
- Be part of a team working to modernize technology used by the HathiTrust Digital Library applications to better support user needs
- Recommend front-end development tools, frameworks, and architectures for use by HathiTrust Digital Library web applications
- Apply and encourage the use of accessibility and universal design best practices within HathiTrust
- Apply modern development practices such as version control, dependency management, secure development practices, and automated testing and deployment to front-end development
- Participate in needs assessment, requirements gathering, and development for systems that support the HathiTrust Digital Library
- Continue improving front-end development skills; learn about new developments and best practices in front-end development and share these with the team
Skills You Have
- Demonstrated ability and 7 or more years of experience developing interfaces for web applications
- Experience working in a collaborative team with developers, UI/UX specialists, and designers to create web applications
- Experience developing accessible interfaces for users with multiple backgrounds, experiences, and abilities
- An understanding of how user interfaces amplify or mitigate inequity and bias
Interviews for this position will be conducted remotely via Zoom. Relocation to Ann Arbor is optional for this position.