|Published||April 7, 2023|
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Recommended|
|Education Requirements||Bachelor's degree in computer science, information, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$68,000.00|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$86,000.00|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
|Pay Grade||Intermediate to Senior|
HathiTrust is a partnership of academic and research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world. We are administratively based in the University of Michigan Library, and our staff are employees of the University. We are looking for an experienced engineer to help improve search and indexing for our large-scale digital library. You will work with developers, librarians, and other partners to provide better search experiences for our users. You will report to the HathiTrust Enterprise Technology Team Lead. Read more about our technology environment on our Technology Summary.
This position is flexible and offers remote, hybrid or on-site work options. International and multi-lingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
What You'll Do
- Improve workflows for loading, indexing, searching, and analyzing data, including bibliographic metadata and the full text for over 17 million scanned books.
- Collaborate with other developers, staff, and researchers to equitably improve the search experience and to deliver more relevant catalog and full-text search results for a diverse user audience.
- Experiment with methods to improve search results across material in multiple languages.
- Be part of a team working to modernize technology used by the HathiTrust Digital Library applications to better support user needs.
- Use modern development practices such as version control, dependency management, secure development practices, containerization, and automated testing and deployment.
- Participate in needs assessment, requirements gathering, and development for systems that support the HathiTrust Digital Library, especially full-text and catalog search.
- Continue improving development skills through learning about new technologies and best practices for search and communicating those with the team.
Skills You Have
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- 5+ years experience (for the senior level) or 3+ years experience (for the intermediate level) developing systems to support full-text search, indexing, and analysis
- Experience with any modern programming language and with full-text indexing systems such as Solr or ElasticSearch.
- Experience working in a collaborative team to build applications for search.
- An awareness of how choices in the design of search applications can amplify or mitigate inequity and bias.
- Understanding of the value of diversity and the importance of inclusion expressed through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.