|Date Posted||November 15, 2018|
Villanova University’s Falvey Memorial Library seeks a dynamic, engaging, and collaborative professional to lead the Library’s scholarly communication efforts in coordination with internal and external partners. Reporting to the Associate Director of Research Services and Scholarly Engagement, the Scholarly Communications Librarian identifies, develops, and promotes strategic scholarly communication services and programs. The incumbent engages others around scholarly communication issues through outreach, education, training, and collaborative projects. The successful candidate will also be responsible for outreach, information literacy instruction, research support, and collection development in assigned disciplines and programs.
- Leads the Library’s scholarly communication program. Works collaboratively to set directions, manage projects, and educate the Villanova community.
- Serves as the Library’s expert on scholarly communication including, but not limited to, alternative publishing models, intellectual property rights, scholarly visibility and impact, online identity management, and equitable access to the University’s scholarly output.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with faculty, students, and staff. Implements an active and engaging outreach program to ensure awareness of scholarly communication issues and trends among Villanova community. Advocates for community needs to other library staff.
- Oversees library publication projects such as the Library’s Open Journal Systems implementation.
- Advocates campus-wide for open access.
- Leads exploration of best practices in documenting and strengthening access to the University’s intellectual output.
- Surveys and assesses community needs for scholarly communication services and programs.
- Partners with faculty on research projects and course design. Consults with faculty, students, and staff on scholarly communication issues. Creates educational resources on scholarly communication topics.
- Serves as liaison to one or more academic departments or programs.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution, or an advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Clear understanding of academic research and scholarly communication practices.
- Experience advising others on scholarly communication topics.
- Demonstrated ability for developing effective and strategic partnerships with members of a diverse community.
- Ability to effectively articulate complex concepts such as copyright, fair use, and open access.
- Knowledge of and interest in issues, trends and technologies related to scholarly communication.
- Experience in successfully managing collaborative projects.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective training modules/tools.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate Librarian rank depending on qualifications and experience.
Falvey Memorial Library is situated in the heart of campus and is central to academic life at Villanova University. Falvey, with a dedicated staff of approximately 50 FTE, is a friendly and exciting place that values work-life balance. The Library developed VuFind, an open-source ILS discovery layer, which is used by organizations world-wide, and was the university library recipient of the ACRL 2013 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.
Villanova University is located on a beautiful 260-acre suburban campus close to Philadelphia and was founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine. Ranked among the nation’s top universities, Villanova supports its students’ intellectual growth and prepares them to become ethical leaders who create positive change everywhere life takes them.
Nominations and Applications:
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: jobs.villanova.edu
This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect, and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.