Research & Instruction Outreach Librarian
|Published||April 21, 2023|
|Location||500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Required|
|Education Requirements||MLIS or equivalent in education and library experience|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$65,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$76,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Preference will be given to those who apply by May 8th
The Outreach Librarian develops and implements a comprehensive outreach initiative for research and instructional services, building and maintaining connections and collaborations with key campus partners, that supports first-year orientation and coordinates the Libraries’ efforts to reach students at all phases of their student experience. They will work with their colleagues to strategically plan and coordinate effective and innovative library programming to engage the campus community in a collaborative and equitable fashion. They are responsible for collaborating on the key departmental activities that support the research, scholarship, teaching, and learning activities of our community.
Reporting to the Head of Research and Instructional Services, this position supports student-centered learning, focusing on building library research skills and engaging students with the tools of scholarship. As a liaison to several departments or programs, they coordinate and provide research consultations, instructional services, collection development, digital scholarship services, and resource advocacy for their subject areas. Stays abreast of standards, best practices, and trends in the profession, and shares this expertise and knowledge of trends in first-year experience and instruction with the Research and Instructional team and across the library.
- Creates, implements, and assesses an outreach program for research and instructional services in consultation with library colleagues, faculty, and campus partners.
- In collaboration with the research and instructional services team, plans and leads first year orientation and other related orientation activities.
- Co-facilitates the Research and Information Associates, a peer to peer research assistance program.
- Promotes research and instructional services and programming, through appropriate channels, as a de facto member of the Library Communications committee.
- Builds relationships with student groups, relevant to the libraries’ mission and goals, in order to enhance their research experience and foster welcoming spaces.
- Serves as a subject librarian/liaison. Works closely with faculty to understand the department's curriculum, major requirements, and areas of research in order to anticipate and meet service and collection needs.
- Provides in-depth consultation and research assistance to faculty and students in the disciplines.
- Provides instruction in research methods and resources in assigned disciplines in collaboration with teaching faculty, through course-integrated instruction, independent workshops, online video tutorials, or research guides in order to provide students with knowledge to be independent and skilled researchers.
Who you are:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability and desire to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
What you bring:
- An MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or the equivalent in education and library experience.
- Evidence or promise of teaching ability and collaborating on multi-department, cross-organizational initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience creating and coordinating engagement and outreach efforts including communication tools to encourage participation.
- Experience with information resources used in academic libraries.
- Experience planning first year orientation and related events.