|Date Posted||June 17, 2019|
The University of Arizona Libraries’ Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship (ODIS) seeks a Research Data Systems Integration Specialist to support the roll-out of a campus-wide research data repository. This research data repository is intended to be a long-term archive containing the version of record of publicly-shared datasets and software produced by University of Arizona researchers. This position will work closely with stakeholders within the Library and across campus to identify, prioritize, develop, deploy, and evaluate bi-directional integrations between stakeholders’ workflows and the data repository that (1) enable transitioning research data from active-phase computing and storage systems to the data repository for long-term storage and publication in a way that is streamlined, sustainable, and provides a value-added experience to UA researchers; and (2) adds value to existing scholarly and research information management systems, and provides a framework for improved compliance with campus data policies. In conjunction with the Data Management Specialist and Data Curation Librarian, this position will also support the adoption of the data repository through outreach to departments and researchers and by developing and delivering online and/or in-person training material for individual users. This is a fixed-term 3 year position, renewed annually.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage with major campus stakeholders to identify and, where necessary, develop workflows for integrating the research data repository system with existing library, campus computing, and research administration systems.
- Develop and deploy API-based interfaces, web front-ends, and other components within a SOA architecture to implement the above workflows. This includes designing specifications, identifying appropriate technology stacks, and implementing the system in a maintainable and sustainable fashion.
- Conduct user testing to evaluate whether the systems/workflows/integrations are meeting stakeholder and library needs.
- Assist in conducting outreach to campus units and individual researchers to generate awareness and buy-in for using the data repository for campus research data products.
- Create and deliver in-person and online user-oriented training on integrating the data repository into research workflows.
- Participate in discussions regarding data repository curation and governance policies as needed.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operation of the repository (addressing user support requests, managing quotas).
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to and engage diverse stakeholders (including researchers) to evaluate needs, identify gaps, and collaboratively implement solutions.
- Ability to develop and deliver instructional material for training purposes.
- Knowledge of the kinds of data, systems, and interactions between them that typically exist in an institution of higher education, including SSO authentication, Active Directory/LDAP, and enterprise data storage systems.
- Basic familiarity with data security and restricted data (HIPAA, ITAR, CUI, etc.).
- Knowledge of needs, tools/approaches, and emerging trends in research data management, open science and research reproducibility.
- Initiative, optimism, flexibility, time management, follow-through, and independent problem-solving.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.