|Date Posted||October 30, 2019|
The Research Computing Systems Administrator is primarily responsible for managing the research and high-performance computing (R/HPC) ecosystem, operating and maintaining core systems and software, as well as working with a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure a robust, productive, and secure computing environment. Broadly, the person in this position will be able to assist with efforts to document, develop, maintain, and enhance the College's R/HPC environment in a manner consistent with established priorities and prevailing best practices.
This role functions within a dynamic, supportive team environment that permits diverse backgrounds to thrive, including recent graduates, people wanting to make a career change, or even those with non-traditional career tracks, educational paths, or life experiences.
Description of Duties
- Monitor and maintain availability, performance, and security of R/HPC software, hardware, and related applications
- Analyze, install, configure, and maintain operating, network, and other systems software and utilities, servers, and other hardware and related applications
- Test systems and application software, including the impact of software updates and patches
- Install and maintain web-based applications, such as RStudio Server Pro and JupyterHub
- Maintain data recoverability, implement data backup and disaster recovery procedures, respond to security breaches, service interruptions, and other critical situations to re-establish system functionality
- Administer R/HPC user accounts/environments
- Manage the HPC scheduling software layer
- Create and maintain clear and effective technical documentation
- Interact with vendors, assessing products and making purchasing recommendations
- Other duties as assigned
Experience working within a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or similar (CentOS, Fedora) environment is extremely beneficial. Strong proficiency with Apache and nginx is a plus as well, as is familiarity with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, Singularity).
If this environment sounds like a strong match, or even an exciting challenge, we encourage you to apply and use your cover letter to explain why you would be a good fit for the role. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and names and contact information for three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Lafayette College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, age, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law in its educational programs and activities, admissions, or employment as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of sex); the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of disability); Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national origin); and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin); and other applicable laws and College policies.