|Location||New York, New York|
|Date Posted||May 21, 2019|
The Research and Learning Technologies Librarian engages and collaborates with a diverse body of faculty, students, and subject liaisons across the disciplines in Columbia University. The Librarian will facilitate planning, implementation, education, and outreach for tools and technologies to facilitate digital research and scholarly expression. As part of the Digital Scholarship team, the librarian is responsible for consultations, instructional services, and managing a team of student employees that provides front-line support for digital tools and technologies. The Librarian will support digital scholarship initiatives and be responsible for assessing and advocating for new research and learning technologies that will meet the evolving needs of faculty, students, and staff. The Librarian will also participate in service programs across the Libraries including research information management, new forms of scholarly communication, and other committees.
This position facilitates planning, implementation, and outreach of faculty and student-facing services for new physical and digital tools and technologies in support of research, scholarship, and in-class learning.
• Through workshops, series, and curricular integration, engage and instruct faculty and students in exploring technologies and methods for qualitative and quantitative research. Current examples include 3D modeling and printing, virtual reality equipment, citation management, and software enabling digital research methods.
• Participate in strategic curricular design and integration, facilitating learning outcomes for students working with digital technologies in the classroom.
• Participate in the collaborative libraries-wide efforts to extend digital pedagogy and research support to students and faculty across the network of subject experts in Research and Learning through resource development and communication.
• Participate in local, national, and international forums to advance the mission and work of the unit; participate in Library committees and initiatives.
• An advanced degree (eg., PhD) or an accredited MLS or equivalent combination of education and experience
• High degree of current awareness of digital research methods, tools, and emerging technologies in use at institutions of higher education.
• Experience with outreach and building community around technological services, including ability to write effectively for the web
• Aptitude for teaching and developing instructional content and documentation
• Experience in managing complex projects and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently
• Experience in instructional design
• Experience in identifying and evaluating software applications for particular educational or research uses
• An awareness of the issues involved in developing sustainable support for research and learning across multiple disciplines, including the sciences, engineering, business, and digital arts.
We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds, cultures, experiences, identities, and abilities to apply for this exceptional opportunity to join an evolving Libraries and University community. Columbia University Libraries is a globally-recognized academic research library system, serving one of the world’s most important centers of research and learning in the most exciting and dynamic city in the world. Talented Libraries staff build, sustain, and make discoverable collections that transcend traditional boundaries of format and domain, keeping pace with a dynamic and rapidly evolving information environment and creating opportunities for users to encounter 4,000 years of human thought.
Our decisions are informed by new curricula developed to meet the needs of a more diverse student body, new and emerging areas of research from a broad spectrum of researchers, including graduate students and newly-hired faculty, as well as by perspectives from the diminished or entirely lost voices of historically oppressed, marginalized, or underserved populations and communities. As a workplace, the Libraries provide a supportive, connected environment where every employee’s perspective is valued and every employee is encouraged to grow. All staff members have an impact on Columbia’s mission to advance knowledge at the highest levels and make the results of research accessible to the world.