|Published||September 8, 2022|
|Education Requirements||Master's Degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||53,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||58,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Library Faculty Position, Dunwoody Campus
The University Library is hiring a forward-thinking and collegial Reference & Instruction Librarian at the Dunwoody Campus.
You should be eager to partner with faculty in their teaching and research and work with students in their first and second years, primarily in learning the information tools and skills needed to succeed in college and career.
- Serve as the Perimeter Library liaison to the College to Career (https://collegetocareer.gsu.edu)
- Participate in outreach activities throughout the university
- Provide reference service in-person and online
- Create and maintain multi-media web-based information literacy and instructional materials
- Engage and support the faculty, staff, and students' research, teaching, and learning needs
This librarian serves as a member of the library faculty (12-month; non- tenure track), holds faculty rank, and is expected to participate in research, professional development, and service activities as outlined in the University Library’s faculty guidelines. The library is committed to providing exceptional professional development opportunities to its employees.
This position is located on GSU’s Dunwoody campus. Perimeter College (https://perimeter.gsu.edu) became a part of Georgia State University in January 2016, a consolidation that formed the largest university in Georgia. For additional information about the six libraries that make up Georgia State University Library, visit library.gsu.edu.
The Dunwoody Campus sits on 100 acres in a residential area of north DeKalb County, where the college has developed a strong reputation as a community partner and institution for higher learning. About 10 miles north of Atlanta, the campus boasts a culturally diverse student body and vibrant student life activities, including the annual, well-attended international festival. Dunwoody is recognized for the highly-regarded dental hygiene program. In addition, the Dunwoody Campus Observatory is an attraction for astronomy students and the local residents who enjoy night sky viewing.
Georgia State University, an innovative urban public research university, is a national leader in graduating students from diverse backgrounds. Georgia State readies students for professional pursuits, educates future leaders, and prepares citizens for lifelong learning. Enrolling one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation at its downtown research campus, at its vibrant branch campuses, and online, the university provides educational opportunities for more than 50,000 students at the graduate, baccalaureate, associate and certificate levels. For additional information about Georgia State University, visit gsu.edu.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in academic library setting or equivalent
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse library users and colleagues
- Knowledge of library resources & interest in building further knowledge
- Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy and best practices in information literacy
- Creativity, initiative, and interest in innovative approaches to reference/research assistance, library instruction, and outreach work
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working and collaborating with faculty on student assignments
- Experience creating information literacy videos and online learning modules
- Experience with synchronous and asynchronous instruction
If you feel that you don’t meet these preferred qualifications, don’t let a confidence gap stop you from applying. Sometimes a list of preferred qualifications can miss the elements that would most strengthen our team; we value the many different skills which make all of us unique.
Condition of Work and Benefits
- Twelve-month assignment, faculty rank, non-tenure track
- Health and retirement benefits
- Support for research and professional activities
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
- Occasional work at other campuses required
Salary and Rank
$53,000 - $58,000, dependent on experience, education, and faculty rank. Appointment at faculty rank (Instructor/Assistant Professor) is on a 12-month contract renewal basis.
Please submit in PDF: (1) a statement of interest in the position, including addressing the above qualifications; (2) curriculum vitae; and (3) contact information for three current references c/o the Library’s Human Resources Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, (404) 413-2713.
Review of materials will begin immediately, with complete applications receiving full consideration by September 30, 2022.
All offers of employment at Georgia State University are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.