|Published||July 19, 2022|
|Location||Coral Gables, Florida|
|Education Requirements||ALA accredited master’s degree or equivalent and experience with library instruction/information literacy and information/reference service in an academic or research library setting.|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$60,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The University of Miami Libraries (UML) seeks a collaborative, creative librarian for the position of Nursing & Health Sciences, Biology, and Psychology Librarian. This position resides within the Richter Library Learning & Research Services unit, a department providing support for the College of Arts & Sciences and five other schools and colleges (Communication, Education, Engineering, Graduate, and Nursing), and serves as liaison to the School of Nursing & Health Studies and the Departments of Biology and Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences. The librarian works collaboratively with librarians in the Miller School of Medicine, data services and research information management librarians, liaisons, and campus partners, to advance UML’s support for an ambitious program of scientific learning and research articulated in the University’s Roadmap to Our New Century. The position is housed primarily in Richter Library, but the librarian will also spend approximately one day per week at the Calder Library on the Medical campus, in order to support collaboration and greater access to library expertise for students and faculty. Depending on background and interests, the librarian will also have an opportunity to become involved with the UM Libraries’ emerging wellness initiatives, including a mindfulness program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting directly to the Head of Richter Library Learning and Research Services (a unit comprised of liaison librarians, information specialists, and peer research consultants), the librarian is responsible for:
- Initiating and fostering congenial and collaborative working relationships with students, teaching faculty and researchers in the assigned disciplinary areas to ensure ongoing dialogue about the research needs of the university’s scientific community.
- Offering consultative and instructional services for undergraduate students, graduate students, teaching faculty, and faculty researchers in order to advance information and digital literacies and provide expert support throughout the entire research cycle.
- Engaging in resource selection in assigned disciplinary areas and contributing to UML’s collection development initiatives, including support for open access and Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Collaborating with other liaison librarians, especially colleagues at Calder Medical Library, to provide coordinated library services for interdisciplinary learning, teaching and research activities at the University. Work one day a week from the Calder Medical Library to facilitate collaboration.
- Collaborating with Data & Visualization Services librarians to provide coordinated support for increasingly data- and technology-intensive activities at the University.
- Developing and sharing knowledge of scholarly communications related to the assigned disciplinary areas.
- Collaborating with research information management and assessment librarians on a comprehensive bibliographic record of research output for campus RIM systems.
- Maintaining familiarity with research trends in the relevant disciplines and advising UML leadership about the ways these trends may inform or necessitate changes in library services and support.
- Maintaining familiarity with current and emerging approaches to post-secondary education, and ways to incorporate information and digital literacies into such environments, while working collaboratively with teaching faculty.
- Supervising and training student employees, when appropriate.
- Serving on University and Library committees, task forces, interest groups, and teams as appropriate.
- Networking, collaborating and actively participating in local, regional, national, or international organizations.
- Representing and promoting the University of Miami Libraries in professional organizations, as appropriate.