|Location||1545 W University Avenue, Gainesville, FL|
|Date Posted||March 21, 2021|
|Education Requirements||Master's degree or other advanced degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||Minimum salary $56,362.|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The University of Florida's, George A. Smathers Libraries seek a creative, collaborative, and services-oriented candidate to enhance research support in the areas of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Digital Sciences. As part of UF’s partnership with Nvidia and the university’s AI Initiative (https://ai.jobs.ufl.edu/), this position leads the Smathers Libraries’ commitment to “AI for everyone”. The NLP Specialist (AI) is a year-round (12 month) tenure-track faculty position with primary responsibilities in instruction, consultation, and project work in NLP, text mining, predictive text, and related areas. The position works with library colleagues, researchers, and educators from throughout the University of Florida community to create, identify, and evaluate learning resources in the areas of NLP and Digital Sciences; advocate for the role of the Smathers Libraries in supporting related education and research; and build effective, inclusive, collaborations across the campus community.
As a member of the Academic Research Consulting and Services (ARCS) department, the NLP Specialist synergizes with existing specialists who provide expertise in bioinformatics analysis, data management, informatics, rigor and reproducibility, systematic reviews, and related areas (http://arcs.uflib.ufl.edu/). ARCS is strategically expanding its support to AI education, research, equity, and outreach, with this position formally liaising to other expert faculty hired through the university’s AI Initiative. The NLP Specialist sets a foundation in NLP for UF students from all majors, and faculty and staff interested in incorporating NLP technology and techniques to their discipline-specific teaching and research.
- Creates and develops strategies for the libraries’ NLP and Digital Sciences support program based on an understanding of client needs; cultivates this program into a national leader in library-based NLP and Digital Sciences support services.
- Develops and provides NLP resource instruction and training, consultation, and other related services and responds to campus support needs that arise.
- Provides expertise on a range of NLP-related databases and tools; directs clients to AI tools and computing resources.
- Provides engaging and effective instruction in a variety of modes and venues that might include face-to-face, online, one-on-one, workshop, guest lecture, and credit-bearing course.
- Identifies, evaluates, and/or creates effective materials for do-it-yourself learning in NLP subject areas.
- Serves as the primary library liaison to faculty hired through UF’s AI initiative.
- Participates as an active member of the ARCS department and the Health Science Center Libraries (HSCL) tenure home, including projects, planning, policy formation, and decision-making.
- Connects with related units across campus to provide services and resources.
- Performs scholarly research and provides service at the institutional and professional levels as related to assignment and in accordance with HSCL tenure and promotion criteria.
The search will remain open until filled, and applications will be reviewed starting April 1, 2021. For a full description of the position and instructions on how to apply, please refer to the George A. Smathers Libraries faculty recruitment webpage at http://library.ufl.edu/pers/FacultyPositions.html.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply.
Address inquiries to Tina Marie Litchfield, Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at: email@example.com.