|Location||New Haven, CT|
|Date Posted||April 26, 2019|
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The Manager of Statistical Support Services provides consultation in statistical methods and analysis to Yale researchers. The incumbent is responsible for planning, delivering, coordinating, and promoting a program of instruction in statistical tools and analysis. This position supervises a team of graduate students who support quantitative and qualitative analysis and assesses the quality and relevance of the team's consultation services and instruction. This position solicits and incorporates input from stakeholders to improve services and ensure that statistical support offerings are aligned with curricular and research needs.
The Manager of Statistical Support Services oversees a program that reaches Yale affiliates from a variety of disciplines, departments, and schools, and with diverse skills and needs related to statistics and data. The individual in this role plays an essential part in fostering an inclusive and supportive environment for questions, exploration, and learning.
This position works under the supervision of the Director of Research Support and Outreach Programs for the Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI). As a member of the CSSSI team, the Manager of Statistical Support Services works closely with data and GIS librarians, subject specialist librarians, and research data specialists to support the teaching and research needs of individuals, labs, and departments. This position also collaborates with partners across the university including the Center for Research Computing, the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning, and the Institution for Social and Policy Studies to provide assistance with statistical methods and tools.
- Advises Yale students, faculty, and researchers on relevant methods and tools for statistical analysis, data collection, data management, and data visualization.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and evaluates the work of a team of graduate students providing quantitative and qualitative data analysis consultation and instruction.
- Serves as a resource for student consultants and researchers with complex needs by providing deep and broad expertise in quantitative analysis and a variety of statistical tools.
- Independently, and in collaboration with data and GIS librarians, creates instructional materials, tutorials, and online documentation relevant to statistical analysis, data collection, data management, and related topics.
- Provides course-integrated or department-specific instruction and statistical support as needed.
- With input from faculty and researchers, selects and receives recommendations for statistical software and tools.
- In consultation with the CSSSI Director of Collection Management, Access and Technical Services, and Technology, recommends specifications for software, computer hardware, and other technology in support of the program and assists in ongoing assessment and maintenance.
- Promotes statistical support services through a variety of outreach methods, including a website, email list, social media, promotional materials, and events.
- Practices ongoing, meaningful assessment activities in order to continuously improve statistical support services.
- Participates in campus-wide research data support services groups.
- Participates in CSSSI and Yale University Library planning, committees, and work groups to support research, teaching, and learning. Engages in campus, regional and national professional organizations and collaborative activities. Monitors developments and best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of Yale’s research support services.
Required Education and Experience:
Masters degree in the Social Sciences, Computer Science, Information Science or related field and four years of experience in an academic environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated proficiency with advanced quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis, methodology and related software (such as SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, Mathematica, NVivo, etc) in an academic setting. Possess firm understanding of technical applications in statistical research and instruction. Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to design projects related to statistics, data resources, geospatial and/or social science computing and bring them to a timely conclusion. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with quantitative statistical analysis, methodologies, and related software (such as SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.) in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency with statistical research, consulting, and instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to design projects and bring them to a timely conclusion.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse clientele.
- Preferred Education and Experience: PhD in a social science, computer science, or library/info science. Experience teaching statistical analysis, methods, and tools to diverse audiences. Experience with: qualitative tools and analysis; data management; relational databases; data visualization tools; metadata standards; and/or programming languages.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/YaleCareers-55230BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.