|Date Posted||November 3, 2021|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||79000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||135000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Harvard Kennedy School
The Manager of Research & Data Services leads the advancement of research and data services in support of the mission of the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Manager of Research & Data Services informs and aligns priorities, goals, and objectives for programs they lead as part of the department's strategic plan. Programs within the Manager of Research & Data Services portfolio include research data management & data safety, research software support, research computing relationships, assessment and deployment of research librarian consultations, oversight of data literacy and support programming for students, research information management support, and data procurement and open access/open data initiatives. This position also supports appropriate reference questions, consultations, and instruction.
This is an exempt position in Library & Knowledge Services (LKS).
Within LKS, we value continual learning. The Manager of Research & Data Services will be expected to continually pursue new areas for learning related to this role and use newly gained skills and knowledge on the job. The Manager of Research & Data Services will also encourage and support this learning for other members of LKS.
HKS, including LKS, is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community of staff, faculty, and students. This position will work toward building such a community and foster an inclusive environment in LKS (for colleagues and library patrons) that values and prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
386058 Library Manager
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Establishes and leads a research data management (RDM) program at HKS, supported by the research and data services team. Evolves the program to support changing needs of researchers and affiliated staff. RDM will focus on supporting the lifecycle of data from acquisition and/or creation of data through the dissemination and preservation, inclusive of curation, management, and analysis. Data onboarding/offboarding training and data management plan consultation with researchers will be a critical deliverable of this program. Supports the Data Steward Program led by the School Security Officer.
• Develops strong relationships with faculty, research centers, IT, the Research Administration Office, Office of Communications and Public Affairs, and other research affiliated staff.
• Leads LKS research communications and dissemination services and initiatives and the research and data services team. Progresses established initiatives and advances new services and resources, developing strong relationships with research communication staff across HKS.
• Manages the research & data services team: coaching, mentoring and developing staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
• Administer, with the Executive Director and other managers, high quality, user-centered library and research services.
• Evaluates data and research resources with Manager of Collections & Library Services, rationalizing collection development strategy and budget.
• Leads with the Manager of Collections & Library Services multifaceted internal communication efforts to promote awareness and discovery of library managed resources and services.
• Fosters a spirit of teamwork and unity among the department that allows for disagreement over ideas and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, support, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed in our efforts to support the HKS community and mission.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide visa sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: This is an in-person/on campus position based in Cambridge, MA, with possible flexible work options.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Salary Range: $79,000 - $135,000
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard Kennedy School's Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership-because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School's commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
Harvard Kennedy School's mission is to improve public policy and leadership so people can live in societies that are more safe, free, just, and sustainably prosperous. Our teaching, research, and engagement with practitioners focus on these priorities:
- Protecting security, freedom, and human rights
- Strengthening democracy
- Advancing social justice
- Increasing economic well-being
- Enhancing sustainability
- Improving public leadership and management
You can be part of this endeavor. Explore and learn more about Harvard Kennedy School.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
USA - MA - Cambridge
Library & Knowledge Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of professional experience in research data management, analytics, or data services in a research organization. Experience managing professional staff.
Master's degree and at least 3 years of professional experience in research data management, analytics, or data services in a research organization. Experience managing professional staff.Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Passionate about research, data, and delivering substantive and responsive resources and services to your community.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Any combination of the below is a plus:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
- Experience improving research dissemination tactics in a decentralized organization.
- Basic understanding of marketing fundamentals and a desire to learn more.