|Location||Rochester, NY, New York|
|Date Posted||May 21, 2018|
The River Campus Libraries (RCL) seeks an experienced IT professional to lead the Library IT Services Department (LITS). The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for leading all aspects of the RCL's desktop support, audiovisual (AV) support, and network services program. This team is responsible for managing hardware and software installation, maintenance, upgrades, and operational support for over 110 RCL employees. The Department Head for LITS will work closely with the Information Discovery Team and the Digital Scholarship Lab to ensure that the technology framework supports access to electronic resources, digital scholarship, online exhibits and collections, and web apps to support the RCL’s strategic objectives.
We seek an innovative self-starter who can contribute to our realization of a 21st century library infused with technology rich learning spaces that support experiential learning and cutting edge digital scholarship; a driven leader who stays abreast of new technologies for teaching and learning and is able to engage library staff, faculty, and stakeholders in their successful application; and a trusted collaborator who is able to work with University IT and other stakeholders to manage the RCL’s technology program to support the research, teaching, and learning scholarship needs of students, faculty, and staff.
30% Administration & Supervision
- Leads an IT unit whose strategic priorities are to provide outstanding IT service to the River Campus Libraries' staff through computing and applications support; and to faculty, and students, and stakeholders through the deployment of cutting edge technology to support research, teaching, and learning
- Supervises, coordinate, manage, and coach five staff members to ensure they have the resources, skills, and training needed to provide secure, sustainable, uninterrupted user access to hosted technologies and applications for research, teaching, and learning scholarship
- Provides technical knowledge and guidance to stakeholders and direct reports to assure optimum efficiency of systems, and appropriate stewardship of RCL resources
- Participates in hiring, training, and integrating new team members.
- Serves as liaison to RCL and University IT stakeholders to resolve issues and ensure policies and procedures empower our community and align with University IT
30% Technology Innovation and IT Budget Planning
- Assists the Senior Director with the RCL's information technology budget, including technology forecasting and planning
- Responsible for IT equipment purchasing with a high degree of accountability; manages the equipment refreshment schedule
- Tracks software licensing and manages maintenance contracts
30% Software and Hardware Implementation & Planning
- Establishes and monitors standards, providing technical knowledge and guidance to assure optimum efficiency and project progress for team members
- Develops implementation plans and schedules, communicating and coordinating needs to appropriate team members
- Enforces standard program change policies and procedures, reviews test results, and ensures that documentation is kept current and complete
- Consults with departments to assess complex data preparation and management needs, programs design and testing; package selection and use of systems, software and equipment; offers solutions and suggestions to provide optimum efficiency and cost effectiveness
10% Professional Development and Service
- Participates in University and RCL committees and meetings as required
- Keeps abreast of trends as they relate to the computer field by self study, attending job related seminars, courses or conferences which enhance personal development and strengthen ability to develop assigned staff
- Performs other related duties as required, including presentation of seminars, courses, and instruction on computer services
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, Computer Science or an equivalent combination of education and experience (5+ years)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with a desktop, AV, and systems administration support team
- Excellent communication, leadership, and team building skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and engage stakeholders
- Ability to conceptualize, articulate and identify meaningful success measures for strategic and near-term goals
- Outstanding verbal and written skills
- Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a high degree of accountability
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Experience managing software and hardware programs
- Experience supporting a broad spectrum of software and hardware
- Experience with JIRA or other support/ticketing management systems
- 2-3 years in a supervisory capacity
The University and the Library
The University of Rochester Libraries belongs to the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 44,000 active serial titles. The River Campus Libraries, the largest of three library systems at the University of Rochester, is embarking upon a new strategic plan making this a very exciting time to join our organization and the University of Rochester. This provides a unique opportunity for incumbents to implement the strategies to achieve the Libraries vision of becoming a collaborative hub of innovation in support of the Schools we support. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please consult our website: www.library.rochester.edu.
The University of Rochester is the sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation's leading private universities with just over 5,600 undergraduate and over 4,600 full and part-time graduate students on the River Campus. Located in Rochester, New York, the University gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum.
Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions.
Rochester is recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. Several high schools in the metropolitan area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. The metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. In addition to hosting past PGA and Ryder cup tournaments and the LPGA tour, Rochester is also home to top-level minor league baseball, hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams.
For more information about living in Rochester, see Visit Rochester
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
Reference ID: 208390
Position will remain open until filled.
Please ALSO send letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references to: Kelley Kitrinos RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled