Librarian – Director of Creative Spaces & Services
|Published||April 27, 2023|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Required|
|Education Requirements||Relevant Master’s degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$82,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$90,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The UTA Libraries’ Director of Creative Spaces & Services, which oversees the FabLab, Studios, and Basement, provides leadership and collaborates with stakeholders to facilitate the creation of extraordinary experiences that inspire curiosity, promote collaboration, and embrace the role of students as creators. The Director will have primary responsibility for creating and sustaining partnerships, programs, and services focused on design thinking, digital media creation, digital fabrication, traditional fabrication, game development, and technology lending. They will also be responsible for leading community and customer service-oriented access to and programming in our creative spaces. As a member of the Dean’s Department Heads and Directors leadership team, the Director of Creative Spaces & Services will actively engage in planning and implementing programs and services for the UTA Libraries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership, vision, and organizational structure that synthesizes services across a broad spectrum of creative technologies to meet learners’ goals.
- Leads and mentors the department’s staff including hiring, supervising, mentoring, problem-solving, and goal setting for those within the department. This includes nine full-time staff and 60+ student staff.
- Plans initiatives for the department that align with the Libraries’ and University’s strategic plans.
- Develops and manages the departmental budget.
- Collaborates with Libraries, campus, local community, and national partners to achieve departmental and Libraries’ goals.
- Advocates for the positive impact of creative activities on learning and student success.
- Collaborates across departments to maintain consistent communication and workflow expectations that support the effective inclusion of creative spaces and technologies in teaching and community engagement events.
Grants and Outreach
- Identifies opportunities, creates proposals, and executes grants in support of building a community of creators, innovation, and design thinking.
- Engages is professional development, scholarship, and outreach that centers on creation, innovation, and design thinking.
- As a member of the Dean’s Department Heads and Directors leadership team, the Director of Creative Spaces & Services will actively engage in planning and implementing innovative services for the UTA Libraries.
- Advance departmental, Libraries, and university goals.
- Advocate for equity, diversity, justice, and inclusive practices throughout UTA Libraries.
- Participate in committees and task forces within the Libraries, university, and the profession.
- Foster an environment of continual professional development, improvement, and learning.
- Continuously assess and iterate programs to improve services and advance initiatives.
- Demonstrate commitment to innovation and discovery to remain relevant in higher education, in public engagement, and to support others in doing so.
- Relevant Master’s degree.
- Minimum of two (2) years managing a public-facing service.
- Minimum of two (2) years working in a creative technologies-rich environment.
- Experience with current and emerging technologies and their application in academic settings, including creative and fabrication technologies.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, decision-making, problem-solving and planning skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to facilitating extraordinary customer service experiences.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Experience leading cross-departmental teams, mentoring professional staff, and developing the leadership skills of others.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience leading a creation-focused space in an academic setting.
- Experience managing multiple full-time employees.
- Experience leading a large group of student employees.
- Advanced project management experience.
- Experience developing productive partnerships across a large institution.
- Experience with both first time in college and K12 student populations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced project planning and management skills, involving designing, leading, and completing a project within its intended scope and timeline
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Be an advocate and ally for equity, diversity, justice, and inclusion
- Ability to foster a positive working environment and model the Libraries’ Guiding Principles through daily actions and behaviors
- Ability to lead, cultivate, and empower staff
- Effective time management skills
- Advanced customer experience skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, including excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to transfer and apply knowledge and experience to new situations
- Ability to analyze situations and make sound decisions
- Ability to excel in a changing university environment
Our future colleague will also have an affinity for our Guiding Principles. These principles define HOW we do our work. These are our Guiding Principles exemplified through how we treat our colleagues:
We Care. We care about you, your success, your growth, your passions and all that you bring to the table.
We Empower. We empower our staff to be creative, think outside the box, work autonomously, and provide resources necessary for success.
We Take Ownership. We take ownership of our organizational culture and YOU take ownership of how our culture is shaped.
We Are Extraordinary. We are extraordinary because we attract and hire extraordinarily talented individuals like you!
APPLY NOW – We can’t wait to welcome you to our team.
Please submit applications at https://uta.peopleadmin.com/postings/22271
UTA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. A criminal background check will be conducted on finalists. The UTA is a tobacco free campus.