|Date Posted||November 15, 2019|
You have a life. We like that about you.
At OCLC, we believe you'll do the best work of your life when you're living the best life possible.
We work hard to build the technology that connects thousands of today's libraries. But we also work hard to make a job at OCLC a meaningful part of a balanced life- not a substitute for one.
The Job Details are as follows:
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
Now OCLC is introducing next-generation services using 21st century Web technology that will greatly amplify the power of library cooperation. By connecting more libraries and more records, there will be more network effects and more value for the cooperative. Some services will interconnect in the cloud through machine-to-machine interfaces. Others will reside where they are technically most appropriate, at the local, group or global levels.
The Lead Software Engineer will join the OCLC Research staff that develops next-generation data architectures, employs data science techniques, and prototypes new applications and services for use by libraries. This position includes a specific emphasis on Linked Data, Data Science, and Prototype development. Successful candidates should be familiar with library data formats, library technical service workflows, end user discovery systems, as well as trends in library science, data science, IT standards, and semantic technologies.
- Work with Research Scientists and system architects to translate requirements and designs into code
- Design and build software that demonstrates how Linked Data can be created, ingested and shared.
- Perform high level analysis and design software for new and existing systems
- Assist in requirements creation by working with Research partners, Global Product Management, and Global Technologies colleagues, as well as library members
- Support applications while in an R&D phase
- Use the latest innovations for Hadoop development, such as creation of MapReduce jobs
- Contribute to architectural reviews
- Keep up-to-date on emerging technologies, software applications, advances in data science
- Represent OCLC Research activities in both internal (leadership and staff) and external (library member) meetings and presentations
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, related discipline, or equivalent experience required
- At least 5+ years of software development experience
- Strong familiarity with semantic technologies-- RDF, Ontologies, SPARQL, Triples Stores
- Understanding of Database design principles
- Experience with R, data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling
- Experience with semantic data models – Schema.org, OWL, RDFS, Wikidata
- Experience using and contributing to Open-Source projects
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proactive in researching issues and getting clarifications on requirements
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong desire to innovate and develop new technology
- Strong familiarity with library data models—MARC, BIBFRAME, IIIF, Dublin Core
- Experience with cloud-based systems (e.g., Amazon Web Services)
- Experience developing and using APIs, especially RESTful APIs