|Published||January 11, 2023|
|Location||1300 Memorial Drive, Coral Gables, Florida|
|Education Requirements||Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library science program or ALA-approved foreign equivalent.|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||MIN $60,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The University of Miami Libraries (UML) seeks a collaborative, creative librarian for the position of History, Religious Studies, and Modern Languages & Literatures Librarian. This position resides within the Richter Library Learning & Research Services unit, a department providing support for the College of Arts & Sciences and five other schools and colleges (Communication, Education, Engineering, Graduate, and Nursing). The Librarian serves as liaison to the Departments of History, Religious Studies, and Modern Languages & Literatures in the College of Arts & Sciences providing information literacy instruction and research consultations, developing collections to support students, faculty, and staff in these departments, and engaging in outreach programs and initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting directly to the Head of Richter Library Learning and Research Services (a unit comprised of liaison librarians, full-time staff, and student employees), the librarian is responsible for:
- Initiating and fostering congenial and collaborative working relationships with students, teaching faculty and researchers in the assigned disciplinary areas to ensure ongoing dialogue about the research needs of the university community.
- Offering consultative and instructional services for undergraduate students, graduate students, teaching faculty, and faculty researchers to advance information and digital literacies and provide expert support throughout the entire research cycle.
- Engaging in resource selection in assigned disciplinary areas and contributing to UML’s collection development initiatives, including support for open access and Open Educational Resources (OER).
- Collaborating with other liaison librarians, particularly colleagues in UML’s Special Collections, University Archives, Cuban Heritage Collection, and the Lowe Art Museum, to provide coordinated library services for interdisciplinary learning, teaching and research activities at the University.
- Collaborating with Data & Visualization Services librarians to provide coordinated support for increasingly data- and technology-intensive activities at the University.
- Developing and sharing knowledge of scholarly communications related to the assigned disciplinary areas.
- Maintaining familiarity with research trends in the relevant disciplines and advising UML leadership about the ways these trends may inform or necessitate changes in library services and support.
- Maintaining familiarity with current and emerging approaches to post-secondary education, and ways to incorporate information and digital literacies into such environments, while working collaboratively with teaching faculty.
- Supervising and training student employees, when appropriate.
- Serving on University and Library committees, task forces, interest groups, and teams as appropriate.
- Networking, collaborating and actively participating in local, regional, national, or international organizations.
- Representing and promoting the University of Miami Libraries in professional organizations, as appropriate.