|Location||Poughkeepsie, New York|
|Date Posted||January 9, 2020|
The Vassar College Libraries seeks a creative and user-oriented Head of User Services to oversee the circulation, course reserves, interlibrary loan, and facilities departments. The Head of User Services works to ensure that these essential areas are responsive and welcoming to users, offering students and faculty ready and reliable access to the Libraries’ collections, services, and spaces.
The Head of User Services serves as a key collaborator in ongoing efforts to understand and respond to users’ changing needs throughout the Libraries. The Head of User Services regularly collects and assesses data on user experience; collaborates in efforts to conceive of and design improvements to users’ experiences of the libraries, both physical and virtual; makes recommendations for strategically improving library services; and helps implement subsequent improvements, paying particular attention to the broad diversity within the Vassar community. The Head of User Services reports to the Director of the Libraries and serves as a member of the leadership team.
- MLS or equivalent degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience working in an academic library, with at least 3 years in a position that included supervisory responsibilities.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in assessing library user experience.
- Experience gathering and analyzing data through both structured and informal engagements with user communities.
- Proficiency using tools for analysis and report writing, such as Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and the ability to work cooperatively across organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
- Ability to model patience, tact, and good humor in providing user-focused public service.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.