|Published||June 8, 2022|
|Location||Coral Gables, Florida, Florida|
|Education Requirements||Bachelor's in music, or equivalent; ALA accredited master’s degree or equivalent (CLIR Postdoctoral Fellows welcome to apply)|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$60,000.00|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The University of Miami Libraries (UML) seeks candidates for the position of Head of the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library that is embedded in the Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music. Located on the edge of Lake Osceola on the Coral Gables campus of the University of Miami, the library is a 22,500 square-foot facility that houses significant collections of sound recordings, musical theater archives, manuscripts, and other resources and offers more than 150 seats for individual and collaborative study. The new Head of the Music Library will serve as UML’s lead liaison librarian for the Frost School of Music by engaging actively with faculty and students; offering library instructional and consultation services; developing the Music Library’s collections; and promoting the Music Library among the broader University and public. Depending on the individual’s area of specialty and qualifications, the librarian may also have the opportunity to teach in the Frost School. The Music Library is well integrated within and supported by the University of Miami Libraries. The Music Library’s 6.0 FTE staff members are supervised by relevant department heads in the Access Services, Creative Studio, Metadata and Discovery Services, and Preservation Strategies departments, with guidance and coordination provided by the Head of the Weeks Music Library. This new reporting structure has been implemented in order to provide a more unified user experience across the UM Libraries, create more professional growth opportunities for employees, and offer the incoming Head of the Weeks Music Library the time and flexibility needed to focus on faculty and student engagement. The Head of Weeks Music Library will also work collaboratively with the Scholarly Communications Librarian for the Performing Arts & Humanities (a newly established position currently in recruitment), whose office is located in Weeks Music Library.
- ALA accredited master’s degree or equivalent and experience in an academic or research library setting.
- Bachelor's degree in music, or equivalent demonstrated subject knowledge of music.
- Demonstrated understanding of current and emerging trends in music education and librarianship.
- Demonstrated understanding of scholarly communication issues related to music.
- Demonstrated professional accomplishments relevant to the position, which may include scholarly publications, teaching experience, and library-related publications.
- Knowledge of digital tools and technologies needed in music.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively and to establish and maintain strong relationships with a diverse community of faculty, students, and colleagues.
- Terminal degree in music or music-related discipline.
- Experience with supervision of library employees.
- Fluency or near-native fluency in a second language.