|Date Posted||July 26, 2021|
|Education Requirements||Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Library and Information Science, Business Information Technology, or equivalent experience|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||78,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The Head of Library Systems is responsible for library technical infrastructure strategy, design, implementation, and management. The position supervises a team of three systems engineers based in the Digital Libraries unit and works in close collaboration with stakeholders within the University Libraries and across campus. The Head of Library Systems, reporting to the Associate Director for Digital Libraries, will be a full-time, 12-month faculty-level position. They will perform the majority of their duties at Virginia Tech's main campus in Blacksburg, but this position serves the entire University Libraries system, including libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke.
The Head of Library Systems will manage, supervise, and mentor a team of experienced, knowledgeable, friendly systems engineers, develop plans for systems and network design and support, carry out strategic priorities, and ensure they have the resources, skills, and training to support the Libraries’ strategic objectives. In collaboration with their colleagues, the Associate Director for Digital Libraries, and stakeholders within the library and across campus, the Head will shape the digital future of the University Libraries' server-side IT infrastructure: the physical environment including server room and servers, digital storage, virtualization environments, and server operating systems. Services supported by the department include virtual computing, web hosting, change management, security, process management and documentation, web application management, automation, CI/CD pipeline development and management, and other related areas.
Virginia Tech University Libraries serves a vibrant, diverse community. We passionately strive to embody the Virginia Tech Principles of Community and to live the Virginia Tech motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). We are deeply committed to mentoring, serving our community, and establishing safe spaces where our staff from current and historically underrepresented groups can thrive.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Library and Information Science, Business Information Technology, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing diverse groups of IT professionals to accomplish both short and long-range IT projects on time and on budget
- Effective communication
- Demonstrated experience promoting diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience with supervision or participation in collaborative project management
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science, Computer Science, or a closely related field
- Amazon Web Services certifications such as Solutions Architect, DevOps Architect, or similar
- Experience with systems and network monitoring, alerting, integration, and documentation