|Date Posted||December 3, 2021|
|Education Requirements||Minimum requirements: Master's degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent. Demonstrated leadership ability. Minimum of five years of experience providing subject liaison services (instruction, consultation, collection development) in an academic library or other public service environment. Knowledge of best practices, issues, and trends in teaching and learning in academic libraries, including knowledge of emerging pedagogies and learning theories in higher education settings. Commitment to outstanding public service. Desire to learn user needs, continuously improve library service, and create a compelling, holistic user experience of the library. Capacity to thrive in the ambiguous, future-oriented environment of a major research institution and respond effectively to changing needs and priorities. Understanding of when to collaborate and when to take initiative on independent projects. Commitment to fostering an inclusive educational environment and workplace, ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse community, and willingness to adopt the Tisch Library values of Community, Curiosity & Learning, Openness, and Social Justice. Preferred qualifications: At least two years of supervisory experience in an academic library. Experience with the design, delivery, and assessment of student-centered services. Experience leading large collections projects (e.g., weeding, approval plan overhauls). Significant collection development experience. Candidates who are invited to interview with the search committee will be asked to provide a diversity statement in advance of that meeting.|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$80,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$90,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
The Research & Learning unit at Tufts University’s Tisch Library seeks an innovative and collaborative colleague to join us as Head of Collections & Liaison Services and continue our growth within the context of a new strategic plan. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Research & Learning, the person in this role will lead the Collections & Liaison Services department, which, along with the User Experience & Student Success and Digital Scholarship departments, make up the unit.
Collections & Liaison Services supports the research needs of Tufts Arts & Sciences and Engineering (AS&E) academic departments, fostering a culture of information fluency and targeting outreach for patrons with advanced research projects. The department delivers a liaison program that supports the scholarly life of AS&E students and faculty, in close partnership with those faculty, through instruction, research consultations, and collection development. We seek a leader who can complement, strengthen, and expand partnerships across the library and the university to address barriers that limit access to services, collections, programs, and spaces as Tufts strives to become an anti-racist institution.
A successful candidate will:
- Lead the strategic direction for the Collections & Liaison Services Department. Build and communicate a shared vision for the Tisch Library liaison program. Assess the success of these efforts, making recommendations to library leadership for potential changes.
- Supervise the members of the Collections & Liaison Services Department (currently five research librarians), cultivating a strong, user-oriented team that applies their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals. Provide mentorship and establish engagement for new programmatic directions through skilled change management.
- Provide guidance and support for staff in other departments that have liaison responsibilities, working closely with the heads of User Experience & Student Services and Digital Scholarship to coordinate workload and responsibilities.
- Partner with other campus offices (e.g., StAAR Center, Summer Scholars Program, Experimental College) to provide outreach and support for patrons with advanced research projects.
- As a member of the Library Management Council, participate in strategic planning, library management, and priority setting. Support the Assistant Director for Research & Learning’s efforts as a key member of the Research & Learning leadership team.
- Coordinate the collections work of the liaison program. With others, provide ongoing assessment of the collection, making recommendations for acquiring new resources and withdrawing underused resources, focused on the curricular and research needs of the AS&E community.
- Stay abreast of trends and best practices in the field. Encourage and provide support for the professional development of the department.
- May serve as a liaison librarian to one or more academic departments, providing direct support to faculty and students through instruction, research consultations, and collection curation.About Tisch Library:Tisch Library supports three Tufts’ Schools – Arts & Sciences, Engineering, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts – providing collections, expertise, and technology-rich environments to assist the Tufts community in teaching, learning, research, and the creation and dissemination of scholarship.
About Tufts University:
Tufts is a student-centered research university dedicated to the creation and application of knowledge. We are committed to providing transformational experiences for students and faculty in an inclusive and collaborative environment where creative scholars generate bold ideas, innovate in the face of complex challenges, and distinguish themselves as active citizens of the world.