|Date Posted||April 18, 2019|
Tufts University seeks an experienced, innovative, service-oriented leader to join the Tisch Library team. The Resource Management and Repository Services Department (RMRS) supports the creation, management, and preservation of scholarship. The department cultivates teamwork and collaborative relationships within and outside Tisch Library to provide high-quality resources and services for our users. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups or with experience working in a broadly diverse environment to apply.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, RMRS, the Head of Acquisitions leads the business processes for ensuring timely and effective acquisition of library resources in all formats for general and special collections. This position provides leadership in developing acquisitions policies, procedures, principles, and workflows, and ensures prudent fiscal management of the materials budget. The Head of Acquisitions collaborates closely with the Collection Development Librarian, cataloging and electronic resources management staff, and collections staff across Tufts libraries. While Tisch Library primarily serves Tufts’ School of Arts & Sciences and the School of Engineering, RMRS provides resource management support in collaboration with all Tufts libraries. The position serves as the primary point person for Alma acquisitions functions, working with colleagues across the libraries and Library Technology Services to maximize system capabilities to meet users’ needs. The position is part of the RMRS department leadership group and serves on the Tisch Library Management Council.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the libraries’ acquisitions functions, including ordering, receiving and payment processes.
- Manage the expenditure of Tisch library’s materials budget; ensure legal and financial compliance with University systems.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on budget expenditures; manage fiscal close.
- Create and share analytics and reports needed for budget management and external reporting.
- Collaborate with cataloging and electronics resources staff to ensure efficient access to acquired resources.
- Collaborate with the Collections Data Coordinator, analyzing data to improve understanding of cost and usage, and to support decision-making around selection and renewals.
- Develop and sustain productive business relationships with internal and external agents including Tufts fiscal offices, library consortia, publishers and vendors.
- Hire, train, mentor, coach, develop and evaluate Acquisitions staff. Provide training and documentation to other staff as needed.
- Maintain currency in emerging issues and trends in acquisitions management and the scholarly research process.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution, or demonstrated equivalent through advanced degree and extensive experience in acquisitions in an academic research library
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging issues, trends, workflows, business models and best practices in the changing landscape of library acquisitions
- Minimum of 5 years acquisitions experience in an academic library
- Experience with applying institutional rules and regulations for procurement
- Experience in project planning, workflow development, and writing documentation
- Ability to work effectively and creatively in a collaborative and complex environment
- Strong analytical skills and experience with statistical analysis, including producing reports, visualizing data, and effectively communicating findings
- Experience developing budget projections
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in scholarly publishing, and shared collection development and management
- Strong service orientation, and commitment to sustaining an inclusive environment in a diverse community.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
- Successful contract negotiation experience
- Experience with Ex Libris Alma acquisitions and resource management functions
- Working knowledge of a foreign language
Tisch Library is located on the Medford/Somerville campus, just outside Cambridge, MA, with proximity to all that the Boston metro area has to offer.