|Published||September 19, 2023|
|Location||1320 East 10th Street, Bloomington, Indiana|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Recommended|
|Education Requirements||Bachelor's degree (preferably in computer science, information technology, or related field)|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$80,000 USD|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$95,000 USD|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
This position will manage a newly created Digitization Services department that will oversee image- and time-based digitization following digital preservation best practices for Indiana University Libraries, as part of Digital Collections Services.
Digital Collections Services (DCS) fosters and supports the creation, curation, discovery and preservation of digital special collections. The unit is part of the Libraries Technologies division in IU Libraries.
- Provides highest level of operational leadership and coordination of assigned staff members to define media digitization and preservation methodologies and standards; provides direction and guidance on high priority media digitization and preservation projects/initiatives.
- Establishes short-term business plans and long-term operational objectives, including managing project timelines/deliverables and developing resource plans for multi-project/multi-phase media digitization and preservation initiatives.
- Conducts a variety of personnel actions to include, but not limited to hiring, promotion, performance management, and dismissal.
- Manages high level assignments and allocation of technical resources, including negotiating and coordinating initiatives that involve staff in other departments/areas/teams; may coordinate large-scale media digitization and preservation projects with a wide audiences in support of academic initiatives.
- Makes budgetary recommendations/proposals based on resource needs and ensures cost containment.
- Researches and stays up-to-date on new industry media digitization and preservation standards and emerging technology.
- Works collaboratively with other leaders across departments in recommending standards, best practices, and related policies/procedures.
- Prepares management reports and summaries for senior administration, executive, steering and advisory committees; acts as advisor to executive committees; serves on various university committees, communities of practice, and task forces related to media digitization and preservation.
- Coordinates with digitization teams across IU Libraries, including the Lilly Library, the Music Library and the Moving Image Archive, to share expertise, align and maintain best practices, and develops workflows for project tracking and content ingestion across units; explores strategic partnerships in shared digitization initiatives.
- Coordinates and participates in outreach initiatives that promote IU Libraries' digitization services by developing informational training and consultation opportunities focusing on the digitization resources and expertise on campus; contributes to national and international discussions pertaining to preservation-level digitization.
- Advocates for digitization lab needs pertaining to space, equipment, hardware, repairs and maintenance; explore new tools, technologies and trends that support state-of-the-art digitization approaches and practices.
- Works with library leadership, collection managers, and other stakeholders to identify and pursue funding opportunities including grants. Contributes to project plans and other components of grant and donor proposals including budget construction.