|January 5, 2024
|Cover Letter Requirements
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency
|Hourly or Salary?
Institution Name: University of Texas at Arlington Libraries
Libraries Website Link: https://libraries.uta.edu/
Apply Now: https://uta.peopleadmin.com/postings/26934
Internal Job Posting No: S05114P
Benefits at UTA: We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to all our employees at the University.
To help you understand the full value of these benefits, we have created a tool that calculates the total worth of your compensation package. This tool takes into account all of the benefits that you are eligible for, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. To access this tool and learn more about the total value of your benefits, please click on the following link:
The FabLab Technician for the Shop Room is responsible for ensuring safe and reliable access to Shop Room tools within the Creative Spaces and Services department in UTA Libraries. This includes creating documentation, providing training, and maintaining shop room tools for optimized access throughout the year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides proactive, routine maintenance of equipment and software in the FabLab Shop Room.
- Sources and procures supplies and repairs equipment as needed to ensure the Shop Room remain in optimal working condition.
- Identifies and proposes new tools and associated costs to meet the needs of the space.
- Develops and manages projects that contribute to the effectiveness and optimization of Shop Room workflows, such as the installation of new equipment; creation of training guides and user guides; development and implementation of safety protocols in alignment with EH&S standards; material acquisition and optimization; or the automation of routine Shop Room functions.
- Assists with the recruitment, training, and supervision of GRAs, student employees and volunteers.
- Mentors and promotes the professional development of a portion of student employees, who provide the first point of customer service and technical assistance to learners in the Shop Room.
- Assists with oversight of daily Shop Room operations.
- Works with learners to assist in the development of their projects and directs them to the most appropriate tools and resources.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with three (3) years related experience or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience with three (3) or more of the following wood and metal working creative technologies: CNC router, plasma cutter, welding, table saw, compound miter saw, jointers, planers, drills, etc.
- Two (2) years of experience managing and/or working in a makerspace or digital fabrication lab.
- One (1) year supervisory experience.
- Experience working with other CAD to CAM and creative technologies: 3D Printing, 3D Scanning, Laser Cutting, Electronics, Textiles, Digital Imaging, Video Editing, Sound Design, Motion Capture, Photography.
- Previous teaching experience, demonstrating the use of multiple teaching methodologies.
- Experience with current and emerging technologies and their applications in academic libraries and how these apply across disciplines.
- Creativity and experience designing instructional/informational materials, both in print and online.
- Experience with outreach and marketing services to students and faculty.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to foster a positive working environment and model the Libraries’ Guiding Principles through daily actions and behaviors.
- Advanced software skills, including proficiency in MS Office Suite, Windows Operating System, Adobe Creative Suite, and 3D modeling software.
- Ability to innovatively use technology and evidence-based decision-making practices to develop and implement best practices to improve the user experience.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Advanced customer experience skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to transfer and apply knowledge and experience to new situations.
- Ability to follow through on projects.
- Ability to analyze situations and make sound decisions.
- Ability to excel in a “perpetual beta” environment, with frequent change and intelligent risk-taking.
Our future colleague will also have an affinity for our Guiding Principles. These principles define HOW we do our work. These are our Guiding Principles exemplified through how we treat our colleagues:
We Care. We care about you, your success, your growth, your passions and all that you bring to the table.
We Empower. We empower our staff to be creative, think outside the box, work autonomously, and provide resources necessary for success.
We Take Ownership. We take ownership of our organizational culture and YOU take ownership of how our culture is shaped.
We Are Extraordinary. We are extraordinary because we attract and hire extraordinarily talented individuals like you!
APPLY NOW – We can’t wait to welcome you to our team.
Please submit applications at
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA or The University) to provide an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, and/or veteran status. The University also prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender identity, and gender expression. Retaliation against persons who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge of discrimination, or testify for, assist in, or participate in an investigative proceeding relating to discrimination is prohibited. Constitutionally-protected expression will not be considered discrimination or harassment under this policy. It is the responsibility of all departments, employees, and students to ensure the University’s compliance with this policy.