|Date Posted||April 8, 2019|
This position will be posted until May 6th. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Relocation: Relocation assistance is available for this position.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position.
UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Where You Will Work:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences. NCAR is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).
What You Will Do:
Reporting to the NCAR Directorate, the Director of NCAR Library Sciences provides vision, strategic direction, and operational leadership for the NCAR Library. The Director conceptualizes, leads, and implements a world-class information service, research, and development unit that provides state-of-the-art scientific and educational information services in support of the broader UCAR, NCAR, and UCP Strategic Plans. The incumbent works nationally and internationally with colleagues in information and library science to foster the dissemination of UCAR research and educational efforts.
- Direct the scientific, technical, and administrative Library staff to manage, preserve, and provide access to NCAR scholarship for the broad research and education community.
- Lead the development and provision of innovative information services to facilitate cutting-edge scientific collaborations
- Develop strategic and tactical plans to ensure continuous improvement in the quality of Library services, including Library infrastructure, physical space and IT.
- Oversee and implement the library budget and program planning, including establishing budget priorities.
- Provide expertise and leadership to support evolving research needs for the acquisition, discovery, use, and management of data resources and tools.
- Provide leadership in the development and strategic use of scholarly metrics for software, data and facilities.
- Oversee and ensure equity and effectiveness of staff mentoring and professional development.
- Manage Library administrative systems and processes to ensure their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develop new funding sources to support the technological, scientific, and service goals of the unit.
- Serve as program advocate and liaison to a broad research community.
- Cultivate and promote information science and educational partnerships between UCAR, NCAR and the broad community.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
- Advanced degree in Library or related information science.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability in oversight and management of diverse aspects of library operations
- Understanding of, and engagement in, the changing environment of scholarly communication and of new publishing models.
- Demonstrated acumen in developing cyberinfrastructure-enabled education and information technology programs.
- Experience in advocating for library priorities to funding agencies and a broad community.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in directing and developing a diverse staff.
- Demonstrated experience in budget and resource development and related management.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and success in grant writing.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in promoting and conducting a research agenda in support of institutional and library priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in fostering cooperation across diverse stakeholders.
- Six years of library leadership experience, preferably in a STEM environment.
What’s in it for You:
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Retirement Plan
- And more!
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.