|Location||College Park, MD|
|Date Posted||January 3, 2020|
Public or Governmental
The U.S. National Archives (NARA) is hiring a Digital Preservation Specialist, GS-12-0301, in College Park, Maryland. This is a non-supervisory, full-time United States Federal employee position, telework eligible up to 2 days/week, with a salary range of $83,398 to $108,422 per year. This position is only open to U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals and requires a background check, but does not require a security clearance. Reimbursement for relocation is not available.
This position is part of the National Archives and Records Administration, Office of the Archivist, Digital Preservation Unit. As a Digital Preservation Specialist, you will be advising on and participating in strategic and operational initiatives and services for the preservation of permanent born-digital electronic records and digitized record holdings:
- Advise the Director of Digital Preservation on recommendations for the development and implementation of digital preservation strategies, technologies, and procedures.
- Analyze, develop, and propose appropriate strategies, risk criteria, and standards for the preservation of electronic record holdings.
- Perform assessments and develop recommendations for software tools and system functionality for digital preservation operations, including format characterization, format conversion, auditing and reporting, and machine learning that can assist in the automation of preservation risk assessment and identification of trigger conditions.
- Draft, develop and maintain digital preservation risk assessments, operating procedures, and other associated documentation.
- Responsible for performing electronic record holdings audits, providing recommendations, and performing digital preservation actions in the NARA Electronic Records Archive (ERA) digital preservation repository system, and in other environments as required.
For the GS-12 level, specialized experience is defined as one year of experience at the GS-11 level, or equivalent, that is directly related to the position and which has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience is defined as experience:
- Utilizing electronic records processing and digital preservation concepts, laws, regulations, policies, and technology, sufficient to ensure that digitized and born-digital objects can be managed and preserved for short and long-term access.; AND
- Proposing and implementing technical and procedural solutions and/or strategies for program improvement to assure the continuing effectiveness of activities in support of an agency's digital preservation program.
For More Information and To Apply:
There are two postings/links for applying for the position: one for federal employees/veterans, and one for the general public.
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555406900 (Federal employees and veterans)
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555407300 (General public posting)