|Location||Los Alamos, NM|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2020|
Public or Governmental
|Education Requirements||bachelor's degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$75,400|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$151,400|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
What You Will Do
This position will be filled at either the Software Developer 2 or Software Developer 3 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
The Research Library (https://www.lanl.gov/library/) seeks a Digital Library Infrastructure Engineer to help imagine, create, and sustain its digital library infrastructure. We support the Laboratory's paramount mission to solve national security challenges through scientific excellence by delivering essential knowledge services. The durable value of these services depends on a foundation of effective and efficient software infrastructure, for which this role is instrumental.
This Software Engineer will work on a variety of projects supporting management, curation, discovery, dissemination, and preservation of institutional scientific content. Current initiatives involve upgrading specialized content discovery platforms, re-engineering data pipelines, modernizing core repository services, and adapting Agile software development and DevOps practices to our local context.
Reporting to the Team Leader for Institutional Scientific Content (ISC), this Software Engineer will join a diverse and experienced group of nearly 30 technical specialists, library professionals, software developers, project managers, system administrators, and computer scientists. The Research Library leads in its contributions to open standards in the digital library and scholarly communications communities, and are participants in the research library and special science library communities of practice.
We offer a creative setting in which information technologies and services are applied to scientific productivity. We aggressively pursue new ideas, services, products, and approaches to satisfy research needs. The successful candidate should be a versatile individual who works collaboratively, embraces learning, and has a strong user focus.
- Designs, develops, modifies, tests, debugs, and evaluates software to meet functional requirements for designated areas.
- Analyzes existing programs and formulates logic for new systems; devises logic procedures, prepares flowcharting, performs coding, and tests/debugs programs.
- Develops conversion, system integration and system implementation plans.
- Gathers reporting requirements to recommend and implement solutions.
- Prepares and obtains approval of system and programming documentation.
- Recommends changes in development, maintenance, and system standards.
Software Developer 2 ($75,400 - $122,900)
At the Software Developer 2 level, the engineer will build, integrate, and maintain systems based on diverse technologies in a team-based environment. This includes collaboratively translating feature requests into technical tasks, implementing code and tests, creating documentation, and exhibiting shared ownership of best practices for assuring quality. The engineer will provide technical analysis to support estimation and scoping of work, participate actively in stakeholder and team meetings, and invest in delivering the greatest possible value to the communities served by the Research Library through its software products.
Software Developer 3 ($91,800 - $151,400)
In addition,the Software Developer 3 will provide technical leadership to team members as well as work more closely with a team leader. This includes specifying software architecture, defining engineering conventions and processes, coordinating and supervising a team’s technical work, mentoring and supervising other technical contributors, and helping to liaise with users and understand their needs.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Software Development and Systems Integration – Clear understanding of software development methodologies, tools, and processes, including source code control, team collaboration tools, hardware and software integration and testing.
- Programming Languages – Demonstrated knowledge of object-oriented programming, scripting, data interchange formats, and markup languages. Experience developing software applications using programming languages and frameworks such as Java, Python, Ruby on Rails, and PHP.
- Databases and Web Servers – Proficiency using database systems such as MySQL and PostgreSQL and web servers such as Apache, Nginx, and Tomcat.
- Collaboration and Communication – Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment. Record of success in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with colleagues. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Learning and Adaptability – Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies and processes quickly. An openness to suggesting and adopting new approaches to improve work effectiveness and efficiency.
- Stakeholder Partnership – Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with software product stakeholders by capturing and translating feedback into actionable backlog tasks and understandably communicating technical possibilities and constraints.
- Clearance Qualification – Ability to obtain a Q clearance.
- Along with your resume, you must include a detailed cover letter explaining how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired qualifications.
Additional Job Requirements for Software Developer 3:
In addition to the requirements outlined above, qualification at the higher level requires:
- Software Development Leadership – Three years of experience serving as a project or technical lead for software development or implementation projects. Demonstrated experience in mentoring or supervising junior software developers.
Education/Experience at lower level: Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Education/Experience at higher level: Bachelor’s degree and a minimum eight years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience building and maintaining data pipelines and APIs.
- Working knowledge of search engine technologies such as ElasticSearch and Solr.
- A minimum of two years of experience developing tools to support cultural heritage, research, or scholarly communications missions.
- A minimum of one year of experience implementing open source software or participating in open source software communities.
- A minimum of two years of experience with UI/UX design best practices and development of Section 508/WCAG-compliant websites.
- A master’s degree or other postgraduate education in computer, information, or library science.
- Familiarity with DOE/NNSA Laboratories research and development mission areas.
Note to Applicants: Along with your resume, you must include a detailed cover letter explaining how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired qualifications.
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter.
Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served at least one year of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the one year of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Laboratory Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)