|Location||Poughkeepsie, New York|
|Date Posted||January 3, 2020|
Position Title: Digital Library Developer
Department: Main Library
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Union Representation: Not Applicable
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free, tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Vassar College Libraries seek a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative library professional for the position of Digital Library Developer. This position is an excellent opportunity to work within a team to develop and maintain tools, systems, and applications that enhance scholars' ability to pursue new avenues for learning and research using the Library's resources and expertise. The Digital Library Developer will help to implement systems and services that bring library resources to our faculty and student scholars in innovative ways. This position will work alongside faculty members, students, librarians, and IT colleagues across campus and within open-source communities on projects that advance research, teaching, and learning.
The Digital Library Developer will work with the Digital Scholarship and Technology Services team on various technology projects throughout the Libraries and the College. This position serves a critical role in providing support for the continual improvement of the digital repository system, Islandora. This includes working directly with objects and metadata while improving functionality. Additionally, the Digital Library Developer will introduce new and innovative tools for digital scholarship throughout the Libraries and the College.
The ideal candidate will be a technology-savvy collaborator, working within a team to sustain current development and make new projects and services come to life. A technologist aware of the trends and issues (technological and otherwise) surrounding digital scholarship, repositories, and research, and excited by the challenges they bring. A data and metadata enthusiast, understanding and enjoying the nuances of each to provide the best resources and digital scholarship possible. Someone excited by presentation-layer work (e.g., visualizations or exhibitions), but also by solving technical challenges, and an excellent communicator that enjoys collaboration and partnerships.
- In collaboration with the DS&T team, ensure a secure and robust digital library technology ecosystem through timely updates, coordination with campus IT, and liaison work with outside vendors.
- In collaboration with the DS&T team, coordinate with librarians in other departments who maintain vendor relationships with Research, Access & Discovery, and User Services software tools.
- Provide support for robust applications and repository system management (currently Islandora/Fedora) to enhance digital collections and digital scholarship by implementing new features and other community-developed tools for the benefit of Vassar.
- Provide guidance and technical workflows for ingest of new digital materials and maintenance of current materials in the repository through scripts and other tools.
- Advance digital scholarship on campus at both the strategic and project level through collaboration with library, faculty, students, and CIS colleagues, including helping to develop initiatives, advising and working on digital scholarship projects, teaching workshops, and responding to inquiries.
- Furthers Vassar College's role as a leader in both academic and community spheres by serving on inter-collegial and regional library groups in a technical advisory role.
- The Digital Library Developer is expected to be professionally active.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science, or, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in writing web applications with commonly used digital library coding languages, such as Ruby, PHP, MySQL, XML, or Python.
- Experience working with common digital library or digital scholarship applications and tools (e.g., Solr, Blacklight, D3.js, Neatline).
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress, or similar open-source content management system.
- Experience with the Fedora Commons repository system and access layers (e.g., Islandora, Samvera).
- Familiarity with linked open data concepts and techniques (e.g., RDF, triplestores, SPARQL).
- Familiarity with data and metadata standards, especially as they relate to digital scholarship or digital libraries.
- Ability to work with a variety of different departments within the libraries and the College.
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Ability to work both collegially and independently.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Occasional travel to represent Vassar College Libraries and participate in professional organizations.
Required Applicant Documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach a cover letter, resume and contact information for three (3) professional references (Word or PDF format required.) Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.