|at ( view profile)|
|Location||La Jolla, California|
|Date Posted||March 8, 2018|
The Digital Archivist is a position shared between Special Collections & Archives (SC&A) and the Digital Library Development Program (DLDP). Reporting to the directors of both programs (60% in SC&A; 40% in DLDP), the Digital Archivist will provide leadership to ensure the long-term preservation, processing, organization, and discovery of the born-digital web and archival content retained by the UC San Diego Library. Given that the preponderance of such materials is held in Special Collections & Archives and is anticipated to grow in quantity as authors, researchers themselves, the campus, and other entities produce more digital content, the position will initially primarily report in that program. The Digital Archivist will:
• Provide library-wide expertise on workflows, tools, and best practices to support the management of born-digital content, including, but not limited to, emails, web content, and social media.
• Strategize, develop, and communicate processes for accessioning, ingesting, processing, describing, and preserving born-digital materials. Process born-digital content for Library collections.
• Advise on and engage with the appropriate capture, management, discovery, and preservation strategies for born-digital materials.
• Set guidelines and identify tools and techniques to review, process, and redact born-digital content with personally identifiable information and other confidential and sensitive information.
• Evaluate proposed processing of born digital materials with Program Directors, the Supervisory Archivist, and other UC San Diego selectors, as appropriate and advise on discovery and delivery options.
• Provide direction for the capture, organization, management, and preservation of selected web-based resources, including, when appropriate, management through the Library’s Digital Asset Management System (DAMS) and the Internet Archive’s Archive It tool.
• Coordinate web archiving projects with appropriate UC San Diego Library specialists, CDL support staff, and colleagues from other UC campuses, as required.
• Work with Library and University IT staff to facilitate the transfer of born-digital materials to library-controlled storage using hard drives, FTP, shared drives, and other methods; advise on digital storage needs.
• Collaborate with other UC Digital Archivists on system wide initiatives and opportunities to share knowledge, resources and workflows.
• Coordinate with curatorial and metadata specialists on the cataloging of born-digital materials and their exposure in library catalogs, the Library’s DAMS, as well as other UC and national digital repositories.
• Work collaboratively with Library public service and outreach professionals on the appropriate presentation of born digital material for instructional and research use, and exhibits.