|Published||October 3, 2023|
|Cover Letter Requirements||Required|
|Education Requirements||Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||65,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||78,750|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Library Faculty Position, Clarkston and
The Georgia State University Library seeks an innovative, collegial, and forward-thinking colleague to join us as a Department Head at the Clarkston Campus.
The Department Head manages the Clarkson library facility as part of the leadership team for Perimeter Library Services. The Department Head supervises the campus library faculty and staff and works with campus partners across academic and administrative departments to contribute to student learning, retention, and success.
- Provides leadership for the delivery of library resources, services, outreach, operations, and coordination for assigned areas of responsibility across Perimeter Library Services and the University Library.
- Collaborating with the Online Learning Librarian develops library service standards for online students and faculty services.
- Collaboratively develops strategic goals for the Clarkston campus library in alignment with the mission, vision, and goals of the University Library. Participates in developing University Library policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and oversees technology and online instruction training for reference and instruction librarians.
- Manages the library’s physical space in collaboration with the University Library’s facilities team.
- Manages the Clarkston campus library’s employees, which includes selection, evaluation, and coaching of faculty and staff.
- Actively participates in the library instruction program using appropriate pedagogy, assessment, and information literacy objectives.
- Participates in research, professional development, and service activities as outlined in the University Library’s faculty guidelines.
This position is based on GSU's Clarkston campus. Perimeter College (https://perimeter.gsu.edu) became a part of Georgia State University in January 2016, as part of a consolidation that formed the largest university in Georgia. For additional information about the six libraries that make up Georgia State University Library, visit http://library.gsu.edu.
Clarkston Campus is located in “the most diverse square mile in America.” Although the city of Clarkston is small in size, it is home to residents representing 40 nationalities and 60 languages, more than one-third of whom are refugees.
Georgia State University is ranked the #2 Most Innovative University by U.S. News & World Report (2023), with one of the fastest growing research profiles in the country and a proven commitment to the success of students from all backgrounds. Georgia State readies students for professional pursuits, educates future leaders, and prepares citizens for lifelong learning.
Enrolling one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation at its downtown research campus, at its vibrant branch campuses, and online, the university provides educational opportunities for more than 52,000 students at the graduate, baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels. For additional information about Georgia State University, visit gsu.edu.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in information/library science.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible supervisory and/or management experience.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to provide leadership and vision for the Clarkston library team.
- Experience in public services and user-centered reference and instructional services.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of trends in synchronous and asynchronous online instruction.
- Successful experience supervising faculty librarians.
- Experience providing service to first- and second-year students.
- Experience creating online learning modules and videos.
- Demonstrated record of outreach and programming.
Condition of Work and Benefits
- Twelve-month assignment
- Faculty rank and status
- Non-tenure track
- Health and retirement benefits
- Support for research and professional activities
- Occasional evening work may be required
- Occasional work at other campuses required
Salary and Rank
Salary ranges from $65,000 - $78,750, commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at faculty rank (Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor) on a 12-month contract renewal basis.
Please submit: (1) a statement of interest addressing the above qualifications; (2) curriculum vitae; and (3) contact information for three current references c/o the Library’s Human Resources Officer, email@example.com, (404) 413-2712.
Interested applicants should submit in PDF, a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references to the Library’s Human Resources Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, Review of materials will begin immediately, with complete applications received by November 2, 2023 receiving full consideration.
All offers of employment at Georgia State University are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.