|Published||October 13, 2022|
|Job Type||Full-time Paid Internship|
|Education Requirements||master's degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$54,080|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$74,390|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
We are still looking for a data wrangler to join the nearly full remote team that is creating the Opioid Industry Documents Archive. Our new posting (below) has been revised and reclassified to more accurately reflect this exciting opportunity to work with documents as data. We are especially keen on candidates with a background in digital libraries and archives.
Senior Document Workflow Specialist
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health is seeking an experienced Senior Document Workflow Specialist. This position will be part of a broad and diverse team at Johns Hopkins performing document manipulation, analysis, and planning activities for the Opioid Industry Documents Archive. The Archive, a joint collaboration between Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and University of California, San Francisco, (UCSF) is a digital repository of publicly disclosed documents from recent judgments, settlements, and ongoing lawsuits concerning the opioid crisis. Additional information about the Archive can be found here: https://www.industrydocuments.ucsf.edu/drug/collections/opioids/
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with technical staff at JHU and at UCSF to engineer a scalable and sustainable workflow for ingesting new documents from various sources into the Archive.
- Perform a technical analysis of archive documents with respect to features such as file format, presence and quality of OCR text, and the quantity and quality of metadata available.
- Create analysis datasets for use by other team members.
- Develop analytical code for use in a highly collaborative environment.
- Write detailed documentation/specifications for analysis datasets and related files.
- Perform and document analyses on large, complex datasets.
- Oversee and perform constructions of datasets, variables and data cleaning.
- Serve as a quality control checkpoint person for data collected and analyses (conducted by self or by others).
- Prepare data for analysis by conducting data checks and cleaning, data extraction and transfer between system
Special Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work independently and meet project deadlines.
- Ability to work remotely and collaborate with a diverse and geographically distributed team.
- Ability to organize work, set and maintain priorities, and meet quality and quantity standards.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Experience with or knowledge of research methodologies in the social sciences.
- Master's Degree in related discipline, with PhD preferred.
- One year related experience.
- Demonstrated ability on significant graduate project or additional doctoral education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
*Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Experience with Python or similar programming languages.
- Experience with Linux and Unix operating systems.
- Experience working with large document collections, creating programs, and generating scripts
- Experience working with digital archives.
- Experience creating documentation.
Classified Title:Sr. Research Data Analyst
Working Title: Senior Document Workflow Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $54,080-$74,390 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: To Be Determined
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: Epidemiology
Personnel area: School of Public Health
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.