|Published||April 27, 2022|
|Location||100 Decatur Street SE, Atlanta, Georgia|
|Apply Here||To apply, please follow the link for detailed instructions. https://lib.gsu.edu/DataServicesSpecialist|
|Education Requirements||Master's Degree|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||60,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||75,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Data Services Specialist
(Data Science / Data Analytics Focus)
Library Faculty Position, Atlanta Campus
Position & Responsibilities
The Georgia State University Library seeks an intellectually curious and innovative colleague to join us as a Data
Services Specialist. If you are passionate about igniting a passion for data in others, this position is for you! This
position is part of the growing Research Data Services (RDS) Department of professionals at our highly diverse
downtown Atlanta campus with expertise in supporting qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis,
visualization, and management across academic disciplines (details at lib.gsu.edu/data).
We welcome an independent lifelong learner at any stage in their career who is eager to grow new skills and
work collaboratively with students and faculty researchers on projects that stretch existing skill sets and
abilities. While opportunities to learn on the job will be provided, it is expected that the Data Services Specialist will be able to:
• assist university students, staff, and faculty in the use of data science / data analytics software, coding
languages, and tools (specifically R and Python);
• support researchers in finding, evaluating, wrangling, cleaning, and analyzing data;
• provide individual and small-group consultations, live workshops, and course-embedded instruction in
data information and resource / tool use;
• explore and develop asynchronous virtual learning strategies, including contributing to the GSU Data
Ready! Badges digital micro-credentials program (details at lib.gsu.edu/data-ready);
• be committed to working with students at all levels in learning the data literacy tools and skills needed
to succeed in college and future careers; and
• collaborate with other members of the Research Data Services Department and outreach librarians in serving a variety of Georgia State University colleges, schools, departments, and programs.
The position serves as a member of the library faculty (12-month, non-tenure track), holds faculty rank, and is
expected to participate in research, professional development, and service activities as outlined in the University
Library’s faculty guidelines. The library is committed to providing exceptional professional development
opportunities to its employees.
The University Library, Atlanta Campus, provides one of the most attractive, open, and inviting educational
facilities in the Southeast. The Library is a valued partner within the campus community, offering a modern,
inviting, and centralized facility supporting both teaching and research with extensive collections and outstanding
assistance. Its signature Link, a multilevel glass structure that overlooks downtown Atlanta, connects the
Library’s two prominent buildings. CURVE (curve.gsu.edu) brings together students and expert researchers from
all disciplines in a shared, hands-on, interactive space featuring cutting-edge hardware and software for data
visualization and analysis. For additional information about the Georgia State University Library, visit library.gsu.edu.
Georgia State University, consistently ranked among the most innovative universities by U.S. News & World Report, has one of the fastest growing research profiles in the country and a proven commitment to the success of students from all backgrounds. Georgia State readies students for professional pursuits, educates future leaders, and prepares citizens for lifelong learning. Enrolling one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation
at its downtown research campus, at its vibrant branch campuses, and online, the university provides educational
opportunities for more than 52,000 students at the graduate, baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels. For
additional information about Georgia State University, visit gsu.edu.
• Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field
• Demonstrated proficiency in R /RStudio
• Demonstrated proficiency in or an ability to become proficient in Python
• Familiarity with data science / data analytics methods commonly used in research across multiple
• Demonstrated proficiency in or an ability to become proficient in teaching data science / data analytics tools to university researchers across multiple levels and disciplines
• Ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse environment
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Experience providing both in-person and online / virtual instruction
• Experience with text mining and text analytics
• Experience with GIS
If you feel that you don’t meet these preferred qualifications, don’t let a confidence gap stop you from applying.
Sometimes a list of preferred qualifications can miss the elements that would most strengthen our team; we value the many different skills which make all of us unique.
Condition of Work and Benefits
• Twelve-month assignment (on a contract renewal basis), faculty rank, non-tenure track
• Health and retirement benefits
• Support for research and professional activities
• Occasional evening work may be required
• Occasional work at other Georgia State University campuses may be required
Salary and Rank
Salary range from $60,000-$75,000, dependent on experience, education, and faculty rank. Appointment at
faculty rank (Librarian Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor) is on a 12-month contract renewal basis.
To apply, please follow the link for detailed instructions. https://lib.gsu.edu/DataServicesSpecialist
Review of materials will begin immediately, with complete applications received by May 31, 2022 receiving full
Any offer of employment at Georgia State University is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal
background investigation. Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal,
state or local protected class.