|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Date Posted||January 13, 2020|
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume and a cover letter as one document, with your cover letter as the first page.
The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) at the Institute for Social Research (ISR), the world's largest archive of digital social science data, is looking for a Project Assistant to help with the National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program (NAHDAP) and other projects at ICPSR. We make thousands of curated datasets available for access, download, and analysis; provide training on using the datasets; and work with funding agencies and data producers to ensure that data of value are preserved and made available.
The work environment is a combination of the best aspects of a small nonprofit or business within a university setting. We have a relaxed, collegial atmosphere that fosters communication and networking within and between departments. We are family-friendly, offering flexible work hours, and we have a diverse staff that enriches the workplace with their experience.
You will provide data-related technical assistance to users and process applications for restricted-use data made available through secure download and a virtual data enclave, ensuring that appropriate requirements are met. You will also provide technical assistance to researchers depositing data, and assist with project reporting, outreach, and other special assignments, such as conducting disclosure review on deposits to our open repository.
Restricted Data Access Support
- Review incoming restricted use applications, assessing for completeness
- Respond to user support inquiries regarding the use of restricted datasets
- Reach out to users as their data use agreements are about to expire and assist them with updates to their data use agreements
Technical Assistance and Outreach
- Assist data depositors with their deposits
- Answer user support inquiries and contribute to project sponsor inquiries
- Help keep web resources current, develop new website content, and conduct periodic, regular website testing
- Develop data resource tools
- Create announcements, newsletters, and other targeted communications and participate in webinar development
- Assist Data Project Managers with a variety of project management activities, including keeping documentation of activities and assisting with project reporting requirements, such as usage and progress reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Statistics, Public Policy, Economics, Public Health, or related field
- 1+ years of related experience (1-2 for Research Technician Senior position; 2+ for Research Technician Lead position)
- Experience with or general knowledge of statistical processing software such as SPSS, SAS, or Stata
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently as well as collaboratively with multiple team members, including the project manager and director
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with restricted-use or sensitive data
This position may be filled at the Senior level or Lead level depending on qualifications. The salary will be determined based on classification and experience.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning. Individuals from groups historically under-represented in the social sciences or related fields are strongly encouraged to apply.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, U-M offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include generous time off; retirement plan with two-for-one matching contributions after the first year; many choices for comprehensive health insurance; life insurance; long-term disability coverage; and flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses. Learn more about U-M benefits.
Reporting: This position reports to the Data Project Manager.