Circulation Specialist (Library Specialist)
|Published||September 13, 2022|
|Education Requirements||High School diploma or GED|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$39,000 + depending on qualifications|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
Provide front desk services and support for the library.
- Staff library service desk, assisting with check out/check in of library materials, shelving library materials and maintaining library shelves. Supervise the library operations in the absence of branch supervisor.
- Provide customer service and computer assistance to library users, including troubleshooting equipment. Provide reference services to library users, including one-on-one instruction with users and reference referrals to librarians and other units.
- Process library materials, including magazines. Identify and process materials being sent for repair, and oversee and/or assist with collections located in the main reading room.
- Provide and manage scanning of materials for use by other academic libraries.
- Participate in department meetings. Serve on committees, functional teams, working groups, as stakeholders, on projects - related to departmental responsibilities. Attend training initiatives as directed by supervisor or Head of Branch and Borrower Services.
- Other related functions as assigned including providing intermittent service coverage for other library locations as needed.
- Diploma (high school) or GED.
- Two years of library or relevant customer service experience (retail, bookstore, service industry, etc.)
- Commitment to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all library users.
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with patrons from diverse populations using diplomacy and discretion at all times.
- Ability to effectively make decisions, manage workflows, and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative and willingness to put forth an extra effort getting tasks accomplished.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with changing work assignments and environments.
- Demonstrated excellent communication (written and oral) and organizational skills; ability to maintain scheduled hours.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- More than 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with Point of Sale systems or Library Service Platforms.
- Experience troubleshooting computer hardware/software.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and as a member of a team.
Research indicates that applicants with marginalized identities are hesitant to apply for positions if they do not meet all of the qualifications. We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these preferred skills.