|Location||Los Alamos, New Mexico|
|Date Posted||January 17, 2019|
Los Alamos National Laboratory is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The LANL National Security Research Center is seeking a visionary, creative leader with experience in supporting scientific research, managing archives and leading a team of professional librarians and archivists. The National Security Research Center is part of LANL’s Weapons Research Services and manages a vast collection of physical and digital information covering 75 years of scientific and engineering data. Most of the material is original source to include handwritten notebooks from Nobel Prize laureates and other prominent scientists and engineers. This role offers the opportunity to build on a track record of successful leadership and innovation. The incumbent will draw on his/her knowledge of the breadth of contemporary library and archiving practices to develop and mentor personnel; model an environment of professionalism, commitment to excellence and open collaboration; carry out strategic planning in coordination with institutional goals; and promote and deliver research services related to the role of LANL’s National Security Research Center.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, Archival Science or a related field
- Familiarity with digital scholarship tools and trends to enhance delivery of special collections content and services to both scholarly and non-scholarly audiences
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage historical archives containing a variety of material such as typewritten reports, handwritten notebooks, microfilm, microfiche, film, photographs, etc.
- Ability to obtain Q clearance and Sigma 15 & 20 authorizations
Success in the leadership, mentorship and recruitment of staff
- Technical expertise in emerging aspects of electronic library services, such as data management, open access, web-based scholarly communication and open peer review
- Demonstrated ability to forge alliances with diverse partners that lead to improved products and productivity
- Experience in the deployment of information technology in secure environments (classified, partitioned, proprietary or sensitive)
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC70082: https://lanl.jobs/los-alamos-nm/chief-librarian-library-professional-4/60CD93B3E5014D3588A5D519166A9B58/job/
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.