|Date Posted||May 7, 2019|
Biology/Biochemistry Information Specialist
Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Library seeks a technically adept, forward thinking, versatile bioscience information professional who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the changing nature of library service and technologies in support of E-Science and digital scholarship. The Caltech Library is in a period of rapid change to meet the changing needs of Caltech’s research and education programs in a timely and cost-effective manner.
The successful candidate will be a scientifically trained, service-oriented information professional who will develop and deliver excellent bioscience information services and research data support within the Caltech community. S/he will blend established research library best practices with innovative and evidence-based services and teaching to strengthen the Institute’s research and learning programs.
As a key member of the Library’s Research Services & Instruction team, this position will regularly interact with faculty, research scientists, students, and administrative support staff in the Division of Biology and Biological Engineering as well as behavioral scientists in the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences. Reporting to the Head of Research Services, this position will contribute biology expertise to the instructional, reference, collection management, and research data management programs of the Library. S/he will work with other subject specialists in a team environment in an atmosphere of innovation, collaboration, and shared values for service excellence at every phase of the research life cycle.
– Serve as the biology subject matter expert within the Library to assess needs and serve Caltech’s faculty, researchers, and students in Biological Science, Biological Engineering, and Behavioral Science
– Develop and deliver formal and informal instructional resources and programs in bioscience information and bioinformatics, including the effective use of research and literature databases such as NCBI databases, SciFinder, and others
– Contribute to the Library’s Research Data Management and Data Carpentry programs
– Perform general and in-depth reference and research consultations in biological information
– Establish and maintain regular outreach and communications with the Division of Biology and Biological Engineering and, as relevant, the Social Sciences Division
– Contribute to the Library’s strategic planning and evaluation of library resources and services
– Provide expertise in the evaluation, selection, deployment, training in and promotion of biology-related information resources offered by the Library
– Stay abreast of developments in scientometrics, science publishing and open science
– Contribute leadership to the information profession or research publishing community
– Performs other duties as assigned
– Graduate degree (Master’s or Doctoral level) in biological science or a closely related research field
– Experience developing and leading technology-based training and workshops in a research or academic setting
– Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication
– Demonstrated success working both in teams and in self-directed assignment
– Experience searching research and scientific journal databases such as NCBI; Web of Science or Biological Abstracts; and research data repositories such as Dryad
– Evidence of successful professional service
– PhD in Bioinformatics, Neuroinformatics, Computational biology, or Quantitative Social Science
– Formal information science, informatics, or data science training (graduate degree or professional education)
– Certified Carpentries Instructor
– Successful grant writing experience requiring a data management plan
– Proficiency coding with Python, R, or statistical software applications
– Familiarity with data manipulation and visualization tools and techniques
– Open-access scientific publishing experience
– Cover Letter
– A copy of, or link to, a technology-based training session or workshop in a research or academic setting
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1452980
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.