|January 16, 2024
|Ithaca, New York
|Cover Letter Requirements
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency
|Hourly or Salary?
|Academic RTE 002
The Cornell University Library Technical Services Department is seeking applications for an Automation Librarian.
Using a variety of tools, including our open source library management system, FOLIO, the Automation Librarian works to improve and automate data flows within the library. This position offers the opportunity to try new strategies for managing library data while growing your skills in an environment that supports experimentation, innovation, and collaboration. The person in this position will work to improve the way we manage record streams, and will also work on extract, transform, and load projects across different kinds of data in FOLIO. The four-person automation team works with a number of systems that integrate with FOLIO, offering the opportunity to work on a variety of data projects.
We welcome all applicants with an aptitude for library data and technology, including those whose experience derives largely from school, internship, and other pre-professional opportunities. In this position, you will be a Research, Teaching, and Extension (RTE) faculty member and have both the opportunity and support to engage in service, scholarship, and ongoing professional development, which will help you meet the requirements of promotion and reappointment at Cornell University Library.
If you are excited to use your data and scripting skills to improve and enable patron discovery of library resources, please consider applying.
- Master’s degree, and no more than three years professional experience
- Demonstrated skills with Python scripting (or another scripting language and a willingness to learn Python). While examples of these skills should be concrete, demonstration of these skills via school or personal projects is welcome!
- Demonstrated understanding of using APIs and their documentation
- Interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies, including documenting your findings and sharing them with others
- Strong service orientation and interest in library users' values and needs
- Excellent communication and analytic skills, including the ability to work well in a team-based environment, to follow through and complete projects, and to request support when needed
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace
Additionally, we would prefer:
- Practical experience in the use of MARC principles, standards and tools
- Engagement with issues related to technical systems and implementations and how they intersect with library values
This position is located in Ithaca, New York. The selected candidate will typically work on the Ithaca campus a minimum of one day per week. The university reserves the right to modify, suspend, revoke, or terminate the hybrid work arrangement at any time.
The New York Convenience of employer guidelines require New York State individual tax reporting and withholdings for this position. Additional individual state income tax filings may also be required if working temporarily outside New York State.
Diversity and Inclusion: As a university founded to be a place where “…any person can find instruction in any study,” diversity and inclusion are at the core of our values and mission. We strive to be a welcoming, caring, healthy, and equitable community where students, faculty, and staff with different backgrounds, perspectives, abilities, and experiences can learn, innovate, and work in an environment of respect, and feel empowered to engage in any community conversation. As a member of the Cornell University community, it is important to recognize our shared responsibility to each other to cultivate a culture of inclusion for all. Cornell Core values
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes 22 vacation days, 13 paid holidays, health insurance, life insurance, university retirement contributions, childcare and adoption assistance, and child tuition reimbursement. Funding is available to support professional training and research. More information regarding Cornell’s generous benefits for contract college employees can be found here. The anticipated academic rank is Assistant Librarian, with an anticipated salary range of $61,000-$67,000.
Our Vision: Empowering Cornell’s research and learning community with deep expertise, innovative services, and outstanding collections strengthened by strategic partnerships.
Our Mission: Cornell University Library promotes a culture of broad inquiry and supports the University’s mission to discover, preserve, and disseminate knowledge and creative expression. It engages with the ongoing transformations of society to deliver world-class physical and digital content and services critical to research, education, and outreach, now and in the future. The Library acts globally, supporting Cornell’s land grant mission in New York State and beyond, and builds partnerships within and outside the university. It invests in its staff, collections, and physical and virtual libraries. And, it serves as a neutral and trusted party supporting information access and scholarly communication.
Relocation assistance may be provided.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply: All candidates must apply online via the Cornell Careers site: See job requisition ID WDR-00042427. For full consideration, please include the following with your application:
- A cover letter;
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- A statement supporting diverse communities which may be incorporated into the cover letter or presented as a separate statement. Candidates are invited to outline their experiences and approaches to working with diverse communities through their research, teaching and service. Guidelines for candidates are here.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a viable pool of applicants is identified; early submission is strongly encouraged. Although we prefer to receive your application as one, multi-page pdf document, we will accept multiple documents in other formats.