|Date Posted||October 15, 2021|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||43.85|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
ASSOCIATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN, RESEARCH & LEARNING, Boston University LibrariesTracking Code 4330 Job Description Boston University Libraries seeks an Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Research and Learning to advance and connect library services and programs with the information needs of BU’s faculty and student scholars. The AUL for Research and Learning is an innovative leader at the University, aligning the research support profile of the Libraries with a commitment to quality, inclusive in-person and online engagements for the BU community in library branches, at virtual service points, and elsewhere across BU’s Charles River Campus. The AUL for Research and Learning oversees a division comprising 65 staff positions. These include subject-specialist librarians and users services staff in access services, liaison and instructional services, and online reference and research support in nine library branch locations, including and especially the Mugar Memorial Library, the main branch and hub of the BU Libraries system, which services more than 1 million visits across all locations from members of the BU community annually. The AUL in this role works to develop partnerships and programs that further the Libraries’ capacity to advance research and learning objectives in the University’s schools, departments, and centers through the development of BU’s digital library services as well as with campus partners in technology and research administration. This AUL also oversees and maintains the Libraries’ commitment to excellent user experience and the continuous improvement of service quality for library users at all service points.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL for Research and Learning is a member of the Libraries leadership team, a critical strategic partner in the development and resourcing of new initiatives that meet and anticipate the needs of library users, and an active member of an inclusive campus community that advances a vibrant residential academic experience. The AUL for Research and Learning assumes a leadership role in engagement with peers at the regional, national, and international levels and participates and contributes to leadership and governance across the University.
As the Libraries has been identified as a strategic priority for Boston University in its 2030 plan, the AUL for Research and Learning joins the organization at a unique and pivotal moment and will be poised to help craft the programs and define and improve the campus spaces that will excite and engage the next generation of BU scholars. To achieve these goals, the AUL in this position will have access to and will manage resources to advance an innovative program vision and to pursue both strategic objectives and rich professional development opportunities for themselves and their staff.
Boston University, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), is one of the leading private research and teaching institutions in the world, with two primary campuses in the heart of Boston and programs around the globe. Chartered in 1869, the University is home to more than 33,000 students from more than 130 countries, 375,000 living alumni, 10,000 faculty and staff, and 17 schools and colleges.
Through the Libraries, BU also is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), the Northeast Research Libraries Consortium (NERL), HathiTrust, the Boston Library Consortium (BLC), the Eastern Academic Scholars’ Trust (EAST), the OCLC Research Library Partnership, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC), and the Open Content Alliance.
Research and Learning
- Advances the liaisons program in consultation and in alignment with the needs of the University’s schools, colleges, and research centers, providing innovative and scalable instructional support and strengthening outcomes as partners with faculty and instructors in BU’s learning programs.
- Partners with other library departments and campus units to apply librarian subject expertise and user services to the identification and development of a new digital library services portfolio, bringing new capabilities and capacity for access to and partnership in the analysis, production, management, and sharing of digital resources and new scholarship at BU.
Responsive User Services
- Promotes consistent and timely access to library resources and services across multiple library branch locations and advances a model of quality user services attendant to and inclusive of the needs of BU faculty and student communities.
- Conducts outreach and engagement with the academic leadership and the faculty associated by discipline and location with BU Libraries branches and develops new service approaches identified through campus engagement.
- Serves on the BU Libraries’ leadership team and contributes to strategic planning and implementation activities that advance the BU 2030 vision.
- Contributes to leadership and governance activities at BU by representing the Libraries in councils and committees.
Professional Development and Engagement
- Pursues professional engagement through projects, publications, and attendance and participation in local and national conferences and meetings to connect the BU Libraries Research and Learning programs with best practices and emergent issues in librarianship.
- Mentors and supports the continuous professional development of BU Libraries Research and Learning staff.
- Master’s degree in library and information science or related and relevant discipline
- 5-8 years of experience in research libraries or higher education
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular