|Published||June 21, 2022|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||120000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||140000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
FSU has exclusively retained Jack Farrell & Associates (www.jackfarrell.com) to find the winning candidate for this important position. Interested candidates should send a CV and 2-page cover (details below on letter topics) to Jack Farrell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Florida State University Libraries seeks a highly collaborative, creative, and strategic leader for the position of Associate Dean of Research and Learning Services. Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries, the Associate Dean for Research and Learning Services works with a team of senior leaders, department directors, and staff to provide overall vision and leadership for the Libraries’ Academic Liaisons; Teaching, Learning and Engagement; and Access Services and Delivery departments. These departments work in partnership across the Libraries and University to enhance learning and research for undergraduate and graduate programs and to advance the University’s goals.
The Associate Dean will serve as a member of a highly effective Senior Leadership Team to plan, allocate resources, and make decisions to advance the libraries’ strategic plan. The successful candidate will work collaboratively and strategically to develop a shared vision and goals aligned with Florida State University’s priorities. The university is focused on enhancing research and supporting an engaging learning environment for students. The Libraries are a key partner in this endeavor. Tallahassee and Florida State University benefit from a rich diversity in our communities and the person in this position will be expected to advance our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The position is located in Libraries building on the FSU campus in Tallahassee, Florida and relocation assistance is available to the winning candidate.
The FSU Libraries
As a center of intellectual community, FSU Libraries inspire curiosity, discovery, and learning by providing equitable access to information, enhancing scholarship, promoting critical thinking, and fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. The University Libraries offer expert teaching and research support, technology rich learning spaces, research materials and rich distinctive collections, and support students and partner with faculty on award-winning scholarship, grants, and groundbreaking research.
With over two million visitors each year, our libraries provide around-the-clock assistance to our large, diverse community. The Libraries are a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Association of Southeast Research Libraries, HathiTrust, the Council on Library and Information Resources, the Center for Research Libraries, and serve as the Florida hub for the Digital Library of America.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University advances cutting-edge research in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts, entrepreneurship, and critical thinking. FSU's welcoming campus is located on the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida, in a community that fosters free inquiry and embraces diversity, along with championship athletics, and a prime location in the heart of the state capital.
Home to over 45,000 students and nearly 400,000 living alumni, FSU is ranked #55 in National Universities and #19 Top Public Schools by US News & World Report. The university has steadily continued to rise in ranking – from #43 in 2016 to #19 in 2022 – with each freshman class exceeding the previous in academic success and potential. Florida State is classified among "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity". The university comprises 19 separate colleges and more than 110 centers, facilities, labs, and institutes that offer more than 360 programs of study, including professional school programs.
The FSU Libraries are located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida. Learn more about the town and region at https://visittallahassee.com/. Home to the state’s capital, two major universities, a large community college, and an array of museums, attractions, and unique experiences, Tallahassee shares a deep-rooted history and culture with unparalleled nature and outdoor recreation. Situated in the Florida Panhandle, Tallahassee is a place where college town meets cultural center, politics meets performing arts, and history meets nature.
- Direct a team of three department heads and provide strategic direction to all librarians and staff in the Research and Learning Services Division. Use collective leadership strategies to build a cohesive team.
- Participate fully as a member of the Senior Leadership Team to plan, allocate resources, and make decisions that align with the Libraries’ strategic plan and the aspiring goals of the University.
- Establish strategies for positive, effective communication with the Research and Learning Services Division, including routine meetings with department heads, staff meetings as appropriate, and routine communication through other means.
- Expand the Academic Liaison program to include advanced research services and instruction strategies.
- Lead the further development of the Libraries’ Instruction program, implementing expectations and standards for librarians and outcome measures.
- Engage with the Libraries strategic planning process by serving as a sponsor on initiatives and projects that advance the libraries’ goals.
- Engage in problem solving and change management, leading the Research and Learning Services Division through organizational change, implementation of innovative strategies, and development of enhanced skills and services.
- Lead and participate fully in the diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility programming of the libraries, collaborating and infusing these values into all parts of the organization.
- Partner with student and faculty groups on campus to enhance libraries services and to advance the goals of the university.
- Oversee and monitor the budget for the division, specifically as it pertains to travel, the parttime OPS budget, and operational needs. Participate in budget discussions with the senior leadership team, including preparation of an annual division budget request.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or other appropriate advanced degree
- Demonstrated commitment and success in working collaboratively with internal units and external partners
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience with teaching and learning, academic liaison programs, and/or research services in an academic library environment
- Understanding of the higher education research landscape and the library’s role as an essential component of the research infrastructure
- Demonstrated leadership and/or management experience
- Experience with academic liaison programs in research libraries
- Experience with project management
- Supervision of staff and/or librarians responsible for instruction, research, outreach, and/or other public services
- Evidence of professional service and/or research, with the potential to succeed in an academic promotion process.
Florida State University is an equal opportunity employer and educational provider committed to a policy of non-discrimination for any member of the University’s community on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans’ status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other legally protected group status. Read the President’s full statement on this matter here: https://bit.ly/3A4qeKr
To learn more about Florida State University benefits, please visit: https://jobs.fsu.edu.
FSU has exclusively engaged Jack Farrell & Associates (www.jackfarrell.com) to find the winning candidate for this important position. Interested candidates should send a CV and 2-page cover to Jack Farrell (email@example.com). The cover letter should address: 1) why are you interested?; 2) how are you qualified?; and 3) what might the Research & Learning Services unit look like in 3-5 years under your stewardship? Thank you. JO 202206119