|Location||Greenville, North Carolina|
|Date Posted||April 23, 2019|
Vacancy #: 942004
Salary Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
Joyner Library is the intellectual heart of East Carolina University, We serve ECU's campus and distance educational communities, act as a resource for the people of eastern North Carolina, and support ECU's contributions to the research community worldwide. We connect people to information and empower their lifelong learning by developing robust collections, superior services, and people-friendly spaces.
Known for its leadership in distance learning and its mission to serve, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University (ECU) seeks an innovative, experienced and forward-thinking leader to fill the position of Assistant Director for Discovery and Technology Services. Reporting to the Director of Academic Library Services and serving as part of the Library's senior management team, this individual will have responsibility for 5 departments with approximately 20 employees: Applications & Digital Services; General Collections Cataloging; Special Collections Cataloging; ILS Services; and IT Operations.
The responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Developing and executing a strategic plan for library technology and discovery that supports the mission and goals of ALS and ECU;
- Providing leadership in the establishment of workflows, priorities, and support systems that enhance access to the Library's collections;
- Working with stakeholders to identify, develop, implement, and assess emerging technology strategies;
- Serving on the library's Executive Committee to help establish the library's strategic goals, priorities, and allocation of resources;
- Representing the library on information technology groups on the ECU campus, within the University of North Carolina system, and externally;
- Maintaining professional knowledge of trends in libraries and higher education, and a strategic awareness of the role of technology in and outside of libraries.
Finalists will be asked to make a brief presentation during the on-campus interview.
- ALA-accredited Master's degree or international equivalent in library or information science;
- Minimum of five years of leadership experience in an academic, cultural, or research institution;
- Record of substantive and sustained professional performance, scholarly contributions and service enabling appointment as Library Associate or Library Professor;
- Demonstrated experience with technology integration to improve library spaces and user-centered services;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Expertise in one of the following functional areas: planning and implementation of technology services; application development and design; integrated library system management; metadata; and/or digital collections;
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment conducive to innovation and creativity;
- Demonstrated skill in building and sustaining effective interpersonal relations;
- Ability to communicate effectively technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and supporting employee professional development at all levels.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Academic library experience;
- Expertise with more than one of the following functional areas: planning and implementation of technology services; application development and design; integrated library systems; metadata; and/or digital collections;
- Experience with grant writing and administration;
- Experience managing an integrated library system, a content management system, or other discovery system;
- Demonstrated understanding of current metadata and cataloging standards and processes;
- Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication and publishing;
- Experience managing large and complex projects;
- Certification in project management or IT management.
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Two to three original letters of reference are required for employment. Please be aware that if selected for an interview, an automatic e-mail will be sent to the individuals entered by the applicant in the References section of the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system. Letters of reference submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system will be verified and considered towards meeting this requirement. For letters of reference not submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system, please have the original signed letters mailed to:
East Carolina University
Attention: Leigh J. Boyd
Mail Stop 516
East 5th Street
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 942004 to ECU Human Resources at www.jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/27358