|Location||Telecommute, United States of America|
|Date Posted||October 14, 2020|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||Salary will be based on the knowledge, skills, and experience of the successful candidate. The salary is negotiable with minimum salary of $ 73,000 for well qualified candidates. Position includes excellent benefits and the ability to work remotely.|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
LYRASIS is seeking an energetic and collaborative Technical Lead for ArchivesSpace, an open-source, archives information management web application designed for managing descriptive information about archives, manuscripts, and digital objects. (http://www.archivesspace.org/)
The Technical Lead is responsible for oversight, management, and development of the ArchivesSpace application, a large open source software platform used by people around the world. The Technical Lead works with a broad group of community stakeholders and is responsible for the overall development of the software and management of the community-based code contribution process. The Technical Lead works to engage a broad set of developers to participate in the project, providing technical guidance, support and leadership to maintain a robust developer community.
The ArchivesSpace application was first released in September 2013, and it is sustained by an active member community of over 400 organizations. Community collaboration and member contributions support and guide all facets of ArchivesSpace—development, code review, migration support, technical and user documentation—and are key to the advancement of both the ArchivesSpace application and community.
- Oversee and manage development of the ArchivesSpace open source software application.
- Build and package major and minor releases (approximately quarterly).
- Maintain and, when necessary, upgrade the underlying infrastructure of the application.
- Provide direct supervision of the program’s junior development staff.
- Supervise all development work, including staff developers, technical contractors, and (volunteer) community contributors.
- Engage and sustain an active developer community.
- Manage community-based code contribution process.
- Provide oversight of an appointed Core Committers group.
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders, from senior administrators on governance groups, to archival and technical staff at member organizations, and all across the LYRASIS team.
- Explore cross-platform integrations/interactions with other open-source communities within the LAM space and with other tech leads at LYRASIS.
- Develop capabilities within the ArchivesSpace platform for stronger integrations.
- Explore and participate in initiatives to facilitate aggregation and greater discovery of metadata across individual deployments of ArchivesSpace.
- Participate in relevant community groups and events and represent ArchivesSpace at relevant technology conferences.
- Contribute bug fixes and feature improvements prioritized by the community.
- Stay abreast of technology and technology trends in archives, libraries and the wider technology landscape.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to troubleshoot application, database, network, and operating system related issues; ability to analyze stack trace, heap dump; profiler knowledge a plus.
- Understanding of incident, problem, change, and release management practices.
- Proven ability to interact and collaborate with developers and end users.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively explain complex concepts, products, and services to non-technical audiences.
- Must possess self-directed initiative and excel in the areas of time management, organization, and prioritization.
Experience and training
- Strong knowledge and experience with community-developed software.
- Experience with LAM open-source programs a plus.
- Experience with cross-platform integrations a plus.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies, especially Scrum.
- A strong understanding of Web standards, accessibility, and usability.
- Knowledge and experience developing Ruby (including JRuby) web applications and REST APIs using Rails and Sinatra, with MySQL and Apache Derby backends.
- Experience deploying and packaging JRuby web applications on the Java virtual machine, using Jetty and Apache Tomcat servlet containers.
- Knowledge of best practices in test-driven development, using RSpec, Selenium, static analysis and code coverage tools, and continuous integration (Hudson/Jenkins and Travis-CI).
- Experience with Apache Solr for search and indexing platforms.
- Experience upgrading Solr a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with using Git / GitHub for version control and release management.
- Commitment to writing clear, well-documented, re-usable code.
- Experience writing code for an open source software project.
This position is part of a geographically and institutionally distributed team, and, as such, applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are welcome.
Please submit your resume and cover letter at https://lyrasis.isolvedhire.com/jobs/145014.html.
Applications accepted until position is filled but review of applications will begin October 16, 2020.