|Location||U.S. Work from Home, United States of America|
|Date Posted||May 11, 2021|
|Education Requirements||Master's degree in information science, computer science, or related field.|
|Minimum Compensation in Local Currency||$80,000|
|Maximum Compensation in Local Currency||$100,000|
|Hourly or Salary?||Salary|
You have a life. We like that about you.
At OCLC, we believe you'll do the best work of your life when you're living the best life possible.
We work hard to build the technology that connects thousands of today's libraries. But we also work hard to make a job at OCLC a meaningful part of a balanced life- not a substitute for one.
The Job Details are as follows:
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions, and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
Whether we are supporting advancements on the leading edge of science or helping children build a strong learning foundation, shared knowledge is the common thread. People can find the answers they need to solve important problems in their lives, in their communities and in the world. Together we make breakthroughs possible.
OCLC Research accelerates and scales learning, innovation, and collaboration to advance libraries and librarianship. We are one of the world's leading centers devoted exclusively to the challenges facing libraries and archives in a rapidly changing information technology environment and is a community resource for the research-driven advancement of libraries and archives. Since 1978, we have carried out research and made technological advances that enhance the value of library services and improve the productivity of librarians and library users. We are also the bridge between libraries and OCLC’s product teams to ensure the company is responding to the library community’s ever-evolving needs.
The Senior Program & Engagement Officer for Data Science and Next-generation Metadata will be a major voice for OCLC in advancing the state of metadata management and facilitate commitment to OCLC products, research, and engagement activities with the diverse community of metadata experts in libraries. This role will work closely with Global Product, Product Marketing, and Research colleagues to advance the field of metadata management in libraries, with a major emphasis on the advancement of linked data. This position, based in the Americas will leverage RLP’s longstanding Metadata Managers group, the Community Center Cataloging & Metadata users, and others to gather insight on product development directions, trends in the field, and opportunities for engagement. In this metadata advocate role, s/he will amplify OCLC’s efforts to advance next-generation metadata platforms and applications, data science efforts, and R&D activities.
- Serve as a primary external advocate to amplify OCLC Research, products and services, and trends from the field, especially as they pertain to linked data and inclusive description; represent OCLC nationally and internationally on topics relevant to data science and next generation metadata.
- Develop engagement programs and research to investigate and propose projects that will result in partner and community benefit; plan and design work agendas in pursuit of evolving community goals; create and manage programs that engage partner staff and advance the work agenda. An example of this work is Reimagine Descriptive Workflows.
- Coordinate and plan with GPM, Product Marketing, and Research staff, acting as a catalyst between these groups, other areas in the enterprise, and the data science and metadata community, and spotlighting OCLC’s position in the Linked Data ecosystem.
- Provide expertise and advice on community expectations and research information needs; suggest possible technical and policy responses within enterprise and in target communities.
- Deliver outcomes that advance the high-level agenda of engagement programs and research.
- Advocate program needs and opportunities within the division, the enterprise, and the involved communities.
- Master's degree in information science, computer science, or related field.
- At least 7 years experience in metadata, data science, or related field.
- Strong proficiency in public speaking, written communication, and community management.
- Deep knowledge of data science, collections metadata, and related workflows.
- Demonstrated success in managing projects and promoting outcomes.
- Knowledge of OCLC metadata activities and research.
Starting salary range is $80K to $100K; salary will be commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in applying for the Sr. Program and Engagement Officer role, please submit the following:
- a current résumé and/or CV (should include links to publications and/or writing samples)
- Cover letter that details your qualifications and experience in the area of linked data and/or inclusive description.
For questions please contact email@example.com