|Date Posted||September 16, 2019|
The Systems Librarian coordinates the management of the Library’s Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System, supporting the integration of the ILS with other platforms used within the Library. S/he leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of additional tools and platforms for user discovery and management of Library resources. Working both independently and as part of a team, the Systems Librarian develops, implements, and assesses Library tools and services by focusing on usability, accessibility, sustainability, and performance. The Systems Librarian also provides expertise and works collaboratively with staff across the Library to automate workflows and optimize the discovery experience for patrons. Reporting to the Head of Library Information Technology, the Systems Librarian’s core duties include:
Manages the Library’s Integrated Library System
- Serves as the administrator and main technical lead for the Library’s Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Tests new functionality and system upgrades, and evaluates current utilization of system modules and workflows to recommend modifications to workflows and system configurations as needed to increase efficiency.
- Troubleshoots problems with the ILS and acts as a liaison between the vendor and Library staff members to report problems and ensure their resolution.
- Coordinates with Library, University, and WRLC departments to manage incoming data feeds including but not limited to: acquisitions and other data; complex bibliographic, holdings and item data; patron data.
- Acts as the Library’s representative to various local and national user groups.
- Consults with end users with regard to system capabilities and functionality, forwarding requests for system modifications and/or enhancements to the vendor as appropriate.
- Leads the development of policies and procedures as needed to ensure the efficient operation and management of Library systems.
- Gathers and reports statistics and data from Library systems to inform decision-making related to Library services.
Develops, Enhances, and Coordinates Library Discovery Services
- Leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of new tools and services for user discovery and management of Library resources.
- Leads the development of strategies to improve the discovery of Library collections and services by designing, developing, and implementing solutions that integrate existing tools with new technologies and approaches to create a seamless discovery experience for users.
- Develops and implements strategies and solutions to improve user experience and maximize the discovery of Library resources by conducting usability testing and user-centered design research.
- Provides training and creates documentation for internal and external users related to the Integrated Library System and other Library discovery systems.
Supports Library Systems and Platforms
- Supports both hosted and locally-managed systems in support of Library collections, workflows, and services.
- Develops and documents internal processes and procedures that support Library systems and services.
- Assists in the development of new Library systems and services through an iterative and data-driven process that emphasizes sustainability and end-user functionality.
- Develops scripts or programs that enable automation of routine Library workflows and tasks and develops enhancements to new and existing Library applications.
Professional Development & Library-wide Initiatives
- Serves on departmental, Library, and/or University-wide committees and task forces; participates in local consortia and regional and national associations.
- Contributes to the profession through writing for publication, presentation, and/or active involvement in professional associations at the local, regional, or national level.
- Continually acquires new knowledge and updates skills to enhance professional performance in all areas of responsibility.
- Keeps abreast of developments, trends, and issues in areas of responsibility.
- Monitors trends and maintains currency in emerging issues within areas of expertise.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science or equivalent
- Three to five years of library experience, preferably in an academic library
- Demonstrated experience managing an integrated library system, a content management system, or other discovery system
- Experience managing technical projects or initiatives
- Experience developing and/or supporting systems and strategies for automated library workflows
- Firm understanding of current metadata and cataloging standards and processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Experience managing an Ex Libris Alma/Primo integrated library system
- Familiarity with user-centered design to support usability testing of Library systems and services
- Familiarity with XML and XSLT
- Familiarity with library technology standards and protocols such as FRBR, Z39.50, OAI/PHM, RDA
- Familiarity with EZproxy as well as remote access and authentication workflows
- Experience with scripting or programming to automate tasks
To view the full position description and to apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Systems-Librarian_JR07590.