|Date Posted||December 13, 2019|
The Stanford Graduate School of Business Library invites applications and nominations for the position of Research Data Contracts and Agreements Manager.
The Library, as part of the GSB Research Hub, engages with faculty members, researchers, and students across the lifecycle of teaching, research and scholarship. Working in a startup type environment and joining an experienced team ready to share knowledge, the Research Data Contracts and Agreements Specialist provides support in acquiring highly specialized data resources for the following groups:
- GSB faculty.
- The GSB PhD program, offering degrees in Accounting; Economic Analysis & Policy; Finance; Marketing; Operations, Information & Technology; Organizational Behavior; and Political Economics.
- The Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in Management programs at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- Researchers, members of the Stanford University community, and other library users.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to work with leading researchers in their fields to understand and help them fulfill their research needs through contractual relationships with a wide range of outside vendor organizations and business partners. You will be responsible for complex contract negotiations and performance management on behalf of faculty clients.
The Research Data Contracts and Agreements Manager participates in committees and self-organizing teams; and engages in campus, regional, and national organizations and collaborative activities. This individual is expected to participate in professional activities outside of the GSB Library and to monitor developments and best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of the Library’s research support services and collections.
This position will be offered as a Librarian 3 or 4. The Core Duties below describe the classification for Librarian 3.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
Independently draft, negotiate and administer sponsored project agreements, contracts, subcontracts, grants, and collaborations, and data transfer agreements. Assist faculty, students, and researchers with identifying and locating sources of information. Responsible for an advanced research support function, managing a library unit or program, or for planning and executing the integration of library content acquisition projects and activities.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Conduct formal negotiations; draft, finalize and administer project agreements, grants, and contracts, including complex, non-routine research proposals and awards.
- Negotiate intellectual property and publication rights, as well as confidentiality, indemnification and invoicing terms.
- Negotiate complex Data Transfer Agreements for research projects, draft language that complies with University, Federal and other regulatory policies, requirements and conditions.
- Negotiate other research-related agreements that involve intellectual property, publication and confidentiality issues.
- Identify contractual and policy issues such as compliance, conflicts of interest and accounting, provide follow through until resolved.
- Advise and assist faculty, researchers, and support staff by interpreting and explaining contract terms and conditions of data transfers and project agreements.
- Assist in resolving contractual problems that arise during the course of a research project by consulting with faculty, staff and research sponsors.
- Review and revise standard agreements to reflect changes in University policies and Federal and State regulations and laws.
- Select library materials and information resources in a broad or interdisciplinary area, including responsibility for collection management, preservation decision-making, donor relations and liaison with users.
- Make recommendations for the upgrade of electronic and manual resource tools. Participate in the evaluation, modification, and development of software, online databases or digital resources.
- Maintain library information systems documentation for a department.
- Formulate policies and propose plans for programs or operations of a library unit. Implement and ensure policies and procedures for library units are followed.
- Collaborate with Library and Research Hub staff to provide services to patrons.
- Identify potential grant opportunities and develop proposals.
- Assist patrons and staff with complex reference and research inquiries.
- May supervise staff or student staff.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Law degree or advanced degree in a relevant academic discipline with demonstrated understanding of academic libraries and five years of experience in a relevant library setting with evidence of capacity to work at a high level of responsibility, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to draft, negotiate and conclude industry research agreements.
- Demonstrated understanding of intellectual property and licensing issues as they pertain to research.
- Consistent display of excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Ability to manage projects, develop policies or drive library initiatives across functional lines.
- Ability to interact with internal or external engineers to evaluate and recommend modifications to agreements and contracts related to databases and digital resources.
- Understanding of the research data lifecycle and ability to interact effectively with staff involved in research data environments.
- Deep understanding and engagement with the range of library and research operations, trends and practices.
- Demonstrated success in engaging with colleagues across the University and beyond in a collaborative and constructive fashion.
- Evidence of engagement in relevant professional or academic communities.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Advanced Degree in Library or Information Science.
- Demonstrated understanding of university research environment and policies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Strong service orientation, demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, action-oriented, customer-focused service environment.
- Demonstrated success in independently performing complex job functions such as collection management reviews, preparation of major exhibits, developing policies for business practices.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.