|Date Posted||September 12, 2019|
First-Year Experience Librarian, Utah State University
Utah State University Libraries seeks a creative and service-oriented librarian to join the Learning & Engagement Services Unit to contribute to a robust and thriving instruction and outreach program. We are seeking applicants who welcome a dynamic, collaborative environment and wish to have a strong impact on student learning. The position is a 12-month, tenure-track, faculty appointment with rank of assistant librarian, with an anticipated start date of January 1, 2020, reporting to the Head of Learning and Engagement Services. The Library is especially interested in promoting an environment of diversity and excellence throughout the institution and welcomes candidates committed to fostering diverse and inclusive environments.
This position will work with various teams and the Coordinator of Library Instruction to provide information literacy activities aimed at early undergraduate students and participate in the Learning & Engagement Services unit’s core functions of teaching, learning, outreach, engagement and instructional assessment.
- Coordinate and implement integration with first-year composition courses, English 1010 and English 2010, collaborating with the Instruction Coordinator and the Composition program in developing learning outcomes and curriculum, coordinating teaching assignments, teaching sessions, and training librarians
- Collaborate with Online Learning Librarian to develop supporting online materials for composition courses.
- Explore and develop new programming opportunities and outreach for first-year students, including transfer students, international students, and first-generation students
- Coordinate with USU’s study skills course, including curriculum development and teaching assignments
- Oversee and implement library freshman orientation workshops
- Work with Coordinator of Library Instruction to develop and implement an assessment plan for first-year programming efforts
- Serve as a liaison for one or two academic departments
- Other duties as assigned.
- ALA accredited MLS degree before hire date
- Demonstrated interest in library instruction and information literacy;
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to meet the university’s requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Experience in an academic or research library
- Experience delivering instruction, especially with first-year college students
- Experience developing online teaching materials
Opportunity Type: Full-time w/benefits package
Advertised Salary: Salary commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits, including an additional annual retirement contribution of 14.2% of salary.